LMS DE Shunter

smyles

LMS DE Shunter

Postby smyles » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Has anyone built a Judith Edge kit for the LMS jackshaft drive diesel electric shunter? Before purchasing I would like to have some sort of a review of the kit. I am sure that I have seen an article in a magazine, I thought MRJ, but can't find it.
Many thanks,
Mike

Wizard of the Moor

Re: LMS DE Shunter

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 pm

MRJ 140 has an article by Steve Hall about an Armstrong Whitworth jackshaft drive diesel shunter. However, I think that this refers to a scratchbuilt model rather than a kit.

Cheers,

James
James Dickie

My workbench

smyles

Postby smyles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:49 pm

Thanks James for the reference to MRJ 140. Not the article I was thinking of but very interesting, scratchbuilt with Dynadrive. Never seem to hear of Dynadrive these days.
Mike

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:33 pm

smyles wrote:Thanks James for the reference to MRJ 140. Not the article I was thinking of but very interesting, scratchbuilt with Dynadrive. Never seem to hear of Dynadrive these days.

I remember reading something that they changed to only supplying complete systems, rather than the components that were used in the early conversions. Then the prices got hideously expensive, and the whole thing seemed to drop from visibility.

Of course, that's not suggesting that the concept or the engineering principles were wrong, but the economics of producing components to watchmaker tolerances on a mass market basis was probably not sustainable. I think that they originally came from producing high end computer drives, or something like that, and probably went back to doing the same thing. A bit like Faulhauber (sp?) and the original coreless motors.

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:49 am

The Dynadrive components came from Brimalm. What is still available is shown under Current Models> Components.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:57 pm

The most interesting (and useful) component - the centrifugal clutch, no longer seems to be there.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”