Bachmann Class 03 conversion

Ian_Holmes

Bachmann Class 03 conversion

Postby Ian_Holmes » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:25 am

Does anyone know if there is a kit available to convert the Bachamnn class 03 into something more akin to the loco's that ran on the Wisbech and Upwell? I'd be really surprised if there wasn't but google comes up short..

Ian

Natalie

Re: Bachmann Class 03 conversion

Postby Natalie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:25 am

Impetus did one for the 04. It currently appears as out of production http://www.karlgarin.com/impetus.htm So it's look for a secondhand one or pester them to produce it again. A review of it was in MRJ issue 87 http://www.modelrailwayjournal.com/issue.php?s=87

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 am

Also, a few years ago Allan Doherty (aka Worsley Works) did an etch in 2mm scale for the 04. His original version had the very early (Wisbech type) cabs. He's usually a flexible chap, so might be willing to do the cab and related bits in 4mm scale.

I'm sure I read that Bachmann have a new 03 due out this year. However, starting from an 04 is likely to be easier.

- Nigel

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:35 am

The Airfix (now Dapol) kit is still available I believe. For the Wisbech locos, it doesn't matter what the chassis is or looks like. (But High Level does an 03 chassis.)

Ian_Holmes

Postby Ian_Holmes » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:25 pm

:oops: :oops: Ah of course I really should learn to get my facts right before I type It is in fact the Bachmann 04 in BR Black that I bought... :oops: :oops:

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:59 pm

Scratch building the parts would be pretty straight forward although I believe that some of the Drewry 04 shunters on the Wisbech tramway were very early production models with a smaller driving wheel diameter to the later version found on BR. Here's a link to one of them:- http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/2203.html
Using the Bachmann body or Dapol/Airfix version would provide a good basis for the conversion, paying particular attention to obvious details such as a very narrow exhaust, cab differences, etc. If adding the protective skirt this would be easy to make out of plastic card, and would hide the larger driving wheel diameter, if a set of correct diameter wheels couldn't be found. The other problem of course is the lack of correct profile 04 driving wheels in 4mm; I'm not sure if anyone produces the heavy cast spokes that distinguish the class? I know that I've seen many fine looking 4mm 04 shunters in various gauges spoilt by their wheels - i.e. without the aforementioned heavy cast spokes, just with 03 substitutes. I'm sure someone will have built an early 04 in 4mm with the correct wheels, and I'd love to see it as the prototype is a handsome machine.

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”