Black Beetle re wheeling question

Simon Glidewell

Black Beetle re wheeling question

Postby Simon Glidewell » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Has anyone ever re wheeled a Black Beetle motor bogie, from one set of P4 wheels of one diameter to another set of P4 wheels with larger diameter wheels, beyond what is catered for in the BB range? Was it difficult, especially removing the gears on the existing wheels and then putting them back on the new axles? I was thinking in terms of a set of suitable 2mm axle Gibson wheels as the replacement, if any of this is practical.

Thanks
Simon

DougN

Re: Black Beetle re wheeling question

Postby DougN » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Simon, The black beetle is from a local (to me) manufacturer. I believe that it shouldn't be that difficult. I actually saw the prototypes for the BB so many years ago I can't remember. David Fokes (?) is the manufacturer in Rhyll Phillip Island Victoria, I think you could ask him direct on his website http://steameramodels.com/ Once upon a time he thought about making P4 wheels. I am not sure he ever did but every Victorian modeller swears by his wheels and kits. They are lovely and he does attend a number of Melbourne exhibitions... but there are none coming up for a couple of months for me to ask David for you.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:07 pm

Once upon a time he thought about making P4 wheels. I am not sure he ever did

Oh Doug, he did and he does, a significant portion of my fleet runs on them.
Cheers
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:45 am

Simon Glidewell wrote:Has anyone ever re wheeled a Black Beetle motor bogie,

Yes.

Simon Glidewell wrote:Was it difficult, especially removing the gears on the existing wheels and then putting them back on the new axles?

No. Just the same as doing a wheel swap on a RTR diesel outline loco which has been described on here many times by me and by others.

Simon Glidewell wrote: I was thinking in terms of a set of suitable 2mm axle Gibson wheels as the replacement

Which is what I used - the model was a scratch built tamping machines done about 12 years ago. These days I would use the nickel silver wheels from Black Beetle if they were the right diameter.

Terry Bendall

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks Keith and Terry for your comments. Terry, do you have a link showing how the BB is taken apart to re wheel it? I presume it has a keeper plate held in place with the brass moveable strip underneath? As to removing and replacing the gears would I need something like the GW gear puller?

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:31 am

It's probably over 10 years since I did one, (or used one for that matter, not a fan) but from what I remember you remove the brass strip, pull the ends off and remove the wheels. ISTR it was all pretty straight forward. With a wheel puller you might be able to just swap the wheels on the existing axles without taking it apart at all.

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks for the info Jim

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:55 am

Simon Glidewell wrote:Terry, do you have a link showing how the BB is taken apart to re wheel it

Sorry no - not that clever. :( but Jim has described it and like him it was a long time ago. No gear puller used. Support the wheel on the vice jaws, apply a parallel pin punch to the end and a few taps with the hammer to remove the wheel. To remove the gear, hold the axle with a pair of pliers, rest the axle end on the bench and push down, then pull off with fingers. Should work OK.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”