Hornby Sentinel/Rolls-Royce shunter

Re6/6

Re: Hornby Sentinel/Rolls-Royce shunter

Postby Re6/6 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Showing the narrowing of the wheel tread to avoid alteration to the plastic 'side frames'

With a standard Ultrascale wheel and original Hornby axle.

It was a very quick conversion done for me at DRAG by CK.

024.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Are they out of tollerance now though? Do they drop into a Vee?
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi Jim - I've just had a nice little operating session on Callow Lane this afternoon, and my Sentinel (with exactly the same Ultrascale wheelsets), runs just fine, not a problem on any pointwork anywhere.

Cheers,

Tim
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:18 am

Hi all,

As the person who started this thread I should report that my blue Sentinel arrived yesterday to join the Ultrascale wheelsets which had been on hand for sometime (surely a welcome first). Wheel conversion was quick but the sand pipes proved more of a fiddle as having adjusted them the glue holding them promptly failed. The 'plug in' sections of the buffer beam also appear deficient, the shanks for the NEM coupling seem to short, not reaching the pocket when lined up with the beam. Not difficult to fix but Chinese quality control is again suspect. Lastly any suggestions for a suitable glue to re-afix the brake rigging? Does ordinary (Deluxe Innovations) superglue work on the plastic?

Tony Comber

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:44 am

On the one I have done the sand pipes also came loose. Fixed with Super glue gel type.

I glued the buffer beam blanking plate in place with solvent glue and then used filler to make thing flush. This meant the wasp stripes had to be repainted. Done by masking the black and painting the yellow by hand, then same thing for the black ones.

Brake rigging also re-fixed with super glue gel.

The next issue of Rail Express, out next week will show the result, but wheathering is still needed.

Terry Bendall

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:31 pm

Ths little loco is the quickest P4 conversion I have ever done - less than 10 minutes from 00 to P4 and its is a good runner to boot.

Gordon

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:46 pm

shipbadger wrote:Hi all,

As the person who started this thread I should report that my blue Sentinel arrived yesterday to join the Ultrascale wheelsets which had been on hand for sometime (surely a welcome first). Wheel conversion was quick but the sand pipes proved more of a fiddle as having adjusted them the glue holding them promptly failed. The 'plug in' sections of the buffer beam also appear deficient, the shanks for the NEM coupling seem to short, not reaching the pocket when lined up with the beam. Not difficult to fix but Chinese quality control is again suspect. Lastly any suggestions for a suitable glue to re-afix the brake rigging? Does ordinary (Deluxe Innovations) superglue work on the plastic?

Tony Comber

I made the mistake of trying to take the brake rigging out separately from the baseplate. I had a broken lug at one end of the brake rigging and in the end I drilled both the brake rigging and the bit that it plugs into with a 0.4mm drill and plugging it with some brass rod.

I also ran the loco in upside down in a cradle, with the power directly attached to the P/B pick up strips, to bed the tweaked pick ups in - that was actually very beneficial and improved an already good runner to the point where I could hardly make it stall.

All in all, a superb little loco, especially when considering the very reasonable price (I paid £46.70 at Expressway Models, Buckfastleigh). I hear that Shawplan are doing laserglaze for it, so that should be a further improvement.

I have also come to the conclusion that the buffer beam plug in piece will have to be glued in properly, although I congratulate Hornby for their nonetheless innovative thinking.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

mikeh-49395

Postby mikeh-49395 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:30 am

Hi all,

I’m wondering whether anyone has converted the rod drive version to P4 and if so, what was involved in the conversion?

(Parts used etc.)

Many thanks

Mike

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:52 pm

mikeh-49395 wrote:I’m wondering whether anyone has converted the rod drive version to P4 and if so, what was involved in the conversion

The one I did was the rod drive version and there were no problems. Proceed as outlined earlier in this thread.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”