Modern Outlines Kit

Hardwicke

Modern Outlines Kit

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:39 am

Has anyone any experience of a Modern Outlines Kit, in particular a Type 4, class 47?

I'm looking for information as to how to remove the wheels (it's 00 at the moment). It has an interesting wheel arrangement of the leading axle fixed driven, middle floating undriven and the rear driven but in a gearbox that is allowed to pivot.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Simon_S

Re: Modern Outlines Kit

Postby Simon_S » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 pm

What a great kit, I've dug my unbuilt one out of the cupboard - it looks like you'll have to desolder one of the sideframes from the cross members at the ends of the bogie and maybe the brackets between the axles (which are to be soldered 'if necessary'). Then you may have to remove the brakeshoes. After that the gears have grub screws so you should be able to loosen them and pull the opposite wheels off the axles to extract the axles.

Unfortunately, if it's anything like their class 40 it'll have a maximum speed of about 15 mph and sound like a coffee grinder having an argument with a bag of spanners in an oil drum...

Good luck with it, cheers,
Simon

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:04 pm

MOK were looking at re-releasing an updated version of their 08 kit a couple of years ago, but it fell by the wayside due to a family bereavement. You might want to give Dave Sharp a gentle reminder about this.......
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:31 am

It sounds like a big job to convert it. I had a nasty feeling that I'd need to unsolder things. I've had it running though. Sounded ok upside down - I didn't have a run of 00 to test it on. The worst loco I heard was the MSL 76 with their own drive. Now that DID actually sound like a coffee grinder. I have one of those to build as a commission. Eventually.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:49 pm

I've got the EE4 / class 40 now as well. It runs well and not too noisy. It's painted too (unlike the Brush 4).

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:38 am

MOK 40_DSC0490.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:47 am

I've cleaned the wheels that pick up (only 2 axles !) and the motor sometimes de-meshes alarmingly but it has a good turn of speed and is surprisingly quiet. I've nowhere to give it a long test run as I've no 00 track here at the moment. It looks great though. Just like a EE4. (bit clean really)

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”