New diesels

Hardwicke

New diesels

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Are we going to let the likes of RM web take the lead, or has no one here got any views on the Blue Pullman, EM1/76, Western, 21, 29, Co-Bo, Baby Deltic, DP2, Railbus, I could go on....
Anyone doing wheels? Anyone converted any of the above?
Michael.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

John Donnelly
Web Team

Re: New diesels

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:26 pm

All too early for me I'm afraid but the one thing about the Pullman that I've not seen mentioned anywhere in any of the glowing reviews is the really rather visible mold line running down the side of the nose (visible in this pic: http://www.tridenttrains.co.uk/images/i ... 860088.jpg) which spoils things, at least for me, somewhat...

John
Last edited by John Donnelly on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

taylorc

Postby taylorc » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:53 pm

I have converted a Bachmann Blue Pullman to P4 in November of last year.
For the none drive axles I used two types of Blackbeetle 14mm wheels. First type where the none insulated variety [i.e no insulating bushes to either wheel - these are available to special order], the second type where the normal 14mm ones with an insulating bush to one wheel. Each axle was cut in half using a cutting off wheel and re joined using an EMGS insulating bush [p/no 5925].
The drive axles where converted using Ultrascale 14mm coach wheels. The existing Bachmann axle was used and the Ultrascale wheels pressed on. This does lead to the axle being recessed into the wheel [the Bachmann axles are really to short], however I used Loctite bearing retainer type 601 to secure the wheels and have had no problems. The pickups where cut back and replaced with dia 0.3mm PB wire wipers soldered to the existing cut back wipers.
The only problem I had was that on some of the bogies the wheels touched the plastic brake shoes, I removed them and all is OK.
I did send one of the Bachmann none drive wheels to Branchlines [the Blackbettle wheel supplier] to see if the could have special ones made to make the conversion easier for others, but have heard nothing.
Colin

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks. I see what you mean about the mould line on the Pullman. Not what I expect for the price. 00 modellers will live with it I guess.
The re-wheeling seems complicated to say the least.
Has anyone got one of the Railbuses? I had a brief look and tested it along with DP2 but am awaiting a new bogie for DP2 (or repacement loco) from Loughborough Model shop for a factory damaged one. They kept making excuses and then just didn't bother to reply at all. The plastic bogie spring fell out of the box. A model shop that won't get my trade again.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Hardwick wrote:Are we going to let the likes of RM web take the lead, or has no one here got any views on the Blue Pullman, EM1/76, Western, 21, 29, Co-Bo, Baby Deltic, DP2,

I don't look at RM Web so I don't know what is there. However we should remember that RM Web is now part of the Warners Group, publishers of BRM, and that "official" reviews, as opposed to the views of those that contribute to RM web, will be based on what the magazine reviewer thinks.

Rail Express Modeller, published as part of Rail Express, always had in depth reviews of all the new models sent to the magazine for review, and others which are not, but which are purchased for review. Since these are written by my son, who is now the editor of the model section, I know that all the reviews are written after extensive reserach into the prototype, using as many written sources as possible and comparison with pictures found on the web. Without wishing to be biased, I think that it will be found that these reviews are accurate and will give an unbiased view. There is always a comment on how easy it will be to convert the models to P4 and EM, but that is only based on a visual inspection of the space available, and not from practical experience of doing the job. In time some of these newer models will get converted to P4 and it will be done using my usual method of using rolling stock wheels of the appropriate size, assuming that they exist. The Dapol Western has only just been released and a review will appear in the next issue of Rail Express.

Anyone on here can of couse say what they think about any model. but it may be found that sufficiently detailed reviews already exist in the model press and not only of course in the pages of the magazine mentioned.

Terry Bendall

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:29 pm

End of advert Terry.

To answer the OP's point, I think the purpose of this forum is to deal with problems pertinent to P4/S4 modelling (some members I know model in other scales standards). I don't think the purpose of this forum is to review the latest RTR manufacturers offerings, unless it is relevant to their conversion to P4.

So my opinion is to let RmWeb/Rail Express take the lead on these matters.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:56 pm

Hardwick wrote:Are we going to let the likes of RM web take the lead, or has no one here got any views on the Blue Pullman, EM1/76, Western, 21, 29, Co-Bo, Baby Deltic, DP2, Railbus, I could go on....
Anyone doing wheels? Anyone converted any of the above?
Michael.

This may sound that I'm being picky (or perhaps too P4ish?) but what do you mean by "Railbus"?

The reason is that CHEAG is meeting tomorrow night, and I know that we have at least one of MachineGeBrauenPanzerWerkenWagen railbussii as used on the Saffron Walden/Braintree branch owned by a group member.

I can ask the question if you're interested...

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 am

Yes, well the Waggon & Maschinenbau one. Mine has been tested and is awaiting new wheels. I had a lovely trip on one on the Worth Valley about 20 years ago. Sorry for the late reply.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:31 am

Hardwicke wrote:Yes, well the Waggon & Maschinenbau one. Mine has been tested and is awaiting new wheels. I had a lovely trip on one on the Worth Valley about 20 years ago. Sorry for the late reply.

Picking this thread up again some five (!) years later, can I ask if you, or anyone else has carried out this conversion.

There is a new Society member here https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5767 who would like some pointers, and sharing some practical experience of how it was done would be really helpful.

Thanks in anticipation,
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:50 pm

Paul

I've done a conversion today and will write it up on the other thread.

Jeremy

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:13 pm

No, Mine is still in the box. I've not been able to do much modelling for 2 years at least.

RichardS

Postby RichardS » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:35 pm

Hardwicke wrote: 00 modellers will live with it I guess.

That seems a rather sweeping and disparaging remark. There are many 'OO modellers' who aspire to better quality and adopt the fine scale ethos with the exception of gauge and flange. To suggest that these fine modellers would be satisfied with lesser quality is frankly insulting.

It is statements such as this which reinforce, and encourages others to level, accusations of elitism and snootiness on S4S.

Obviously it is true that some people are less discerning or less fastidious. I have even seen this within this society. But folk are entitled to participate in the hobby at a level at which they are comfortable without fear of being demeaned. All should be encouraged.

This forum is visible to non-members; a large number of whom attend society exhibitions. If individuals feel the need to flippantly make such asides it might be wiser to reserve them for private conversations with the few others who probably share such narrow opinions.

And might I suggest - no doubt to the OP's horror - that there are probably P4 modellers (unworthy as they may be) who 'live' with the particular feature described.

Rant over.

Enjoy your modelling whatever you do.

Richard Slipper
Norwich
"happily modelling in P4 AND OO"

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Succinctly put Richard.
John

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:02 am

I had to look back in the thread and see the context. Actually it was based on observation. I remember a review mentioning the mould line and pointed this out to a number of 00 modellers who universally said they were not bothered about small errors like that and could live with it. Bit unfair to pick me up on a small comment from 5 years ago.

RichardS

Postby RichardS » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:25 pm

Hardwicke wrote:I had to look back in the thread and see the context. Actually it was based on observation. I remember a review mentioning the mould line and pointed this out to a number of 00 modellers who universally said they were not bothered about small errors like that and could live with it. Bit unfair to pick me up on a small comment from 5 years ago.

I didn't notice that it was 5 years old. But that doesn't matter. What was published is what was published and that is what others read then and what people read now and what yet more may read in the future. None of us get things right all the time but I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that the words which a person uses are picked to convey the meaning that they generally intend unless there is some qualification offered at the time.
Issue closed at this end. :)

Regards
RichardS

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:30 pm

Accurscale have announced they are going to produce a Class 37/6 and 37/0 (the first five anyway) and the good news for the likes of me is that they are making drop in P4 (and EM for that matter) wheels available and they are also making provision for the brake blocks to be easily moved to line up with new wheels.

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/class-37

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:53 pm

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I've resisted the Deltic - good as it looks - but I actually have a use for one of these! They don't appear to be doing a green one without yellow end/panel initially, so that may save me...

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”