improving the Bachmann class 47

jim s-w

improving the Bachmann class 47

Postby jim s-w » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi All

Since i am thinking about duffs ATM, I do have a Bachmann one in my pile too so…

This is the Bachmann model as it comes (except for the numbers being removed) Not bad but the use of class 57 bits on the underframe had some commentators proclaiming that the world had ended when it first came out! So only 1 thing for it - (its called modelling BTW) :twisted:

well i say that but it's not really - the battery boxes pull off and its just a case of sticking Heljan ones in their place. I dont like the original bogies so I cut the sideframes off and stuck some heljan ones on instead. Hardly a taxing task , in fact the hardest thing is finding the Heljan spares in the first place!

More of a problem for those not running on 00 track is the tendency for Bachmann AWD Co-Co diesels to dive off the track at any given opportunity! No doubt somewhere there is some elaborate discussion going on about how to completely build a new chassis to correct the problem but if, like me, you don't want to devote the rest of your life to getting 1 loco working because a, you dont like the class much and b, you have a layout to build I present to you what can only be described as a horrendous bodge. It works so thats good enough for me! :D

branchlines 14mm wheels on the outer 2 axles of each bogie and a Gibson 13mm wheel on the center axles. Gives just enough clearance on the center axle to cope with uneven trackwork and keep the thing out of the ballast.

Since this loco has the wrong vents at the number one end I fancy having a go at modelling the shutters open. Not that I would normally go to such lengths on a class I don't like but this one is going to be 47088 Samson - the same name as my dog!

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Dave K

Re: improving the Bachmann class 47

Postby Dave K » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:19 am

Jim,

What method did you use to remove the numbers as I have so lettering etc to remove from some Bachmann wagons.

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:51 pm

The January Hornby Magazine has some details on how to do this on Page 98 under the Clinic. Uses T-Cut and a lot of care.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:50 am

Hi Dave

This one had already been renumbered once but I usually just use cotton buds and turps substitute.

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:53 am

John Bateson wrote:The January Hornby Magazine has some details on how to do this on Page 98 under the Clinic. Uses T-Cut and a lot of care.
John

Having used T-cut to remove the numbers, what do you use to remove T-cut from all of the little crevices it tends to get stuck in?

Richard

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:40 am

Having never actually done this, I guess the answer is that I don't really know. However, the article mentioned does suggest using masking tape to hide those places which you do not want to be affected.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:59 pm

More of a problem for those not running on 00 track is the tendency for Bachmann AWD Co-Co diesels to dive off the track at any given opportunity! No doubt somewhere there is some elaborate discussion going on about how to completely build a new chassis to correct the problem but if, like me, you don't want to devote the rest of your life to getting 1 loco working because a, you dont like the class much and b, you have a layout to build I present to you what can only be described as a horrendous bodge. It works so thats good enough for me!
Branchlines 14mm wheels on the outer 2 axles of each bogie and a Gibson 13mm wheel on the center axles. Gives just enough clearance on the center axle to cope with uneven trackwork and keep the thing out of the ballast.

Just to illustrate the problem!

IMHO this is not fit even for the small wheel technique, the other bogie is not quite as bad but still unfit for purpose, my class 47 is consequently on hold till I can devote enough time to sort out some proper suspension.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi All

A little update to this topic (or a postscript perhaps) - I realised that 14mm is too small for a 47 anyway so swapped to the correct sized Gibsons. In the end I was lucky and my bogies didnt rock so I just used the same sized wheels throughout without any problems.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

doktorstamp

Postby doktorstamp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Penrhos1920 wrote:
John Bateson wrote:The January Hornby Magazine has some details on how to do this on Page 98 under the Clinic. Uses T-Cut and a lot of care.
John

Having used T-cut to remove the numbers, what do you use to remove T-cut from all of the little crevices it tends to get stuck in?

Richard

Unless there is some pressing reason [u]not[u] to use water, then this can be used to removed dried T-cut. Those who can remember their sevice days will recall rubbing down their uniform brasses with Brasso, either applied by cloth, or soaked into thick card (document board) and rubbing till they were smooth and the Sarn't Major could see his face in them. Badges, where some detail remained were buffed on the face with an old toothbrush and then buffed finally with a clean cloth. The reverse or inside of the brass was scrubbed with a wet toothbrush to remove residue in order that uniform wasn't tainted or marked. As stated I see no reason why these tried and tested methods cannot be applied to a loco or diesel body.

mfG

Nigel

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Gosh, remarkable how quickly 3 years goes by! I bought two spare bogies and using the two least bent ones managed to get mine to stay on the track most of the time, but its still rather sensitive. However the layout has been dismantled most of the intervening time and is only now coming back together. I have splashed out on one of the new spring suspension kits and will be having a go at that when the round tuit arrives. And I can use the two bad bogies for that excercise.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Jonathan Hughes

Postby Jonathan Hughes » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:37 pm

I spent a little time working my Bachmann 47 (originally a model of Blue 47035 with "Domino" marker lights) into a 1974 condition Gateshead generator with as many corrections and details that I could manage. I'm pleased with the result but it'll be a while before I decide to tackle another.
This was completed a couple of weeks ago... it was nearly 2 years in "re-build" will be at scaleforum next weekend (that came around quickly) in the armchair modellers challenge - RTR conversions.
Jonathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”