Apparently known to being one of the easiest 00 conversions to P4 known to mankind, I thought I'd give it a go.
Conclusion, MEGA easy, however, I had some difficulties that you are unlikely to have, thus I'll post them first.
In another thread above, I posted the start of it and had some bother, please read that first.
Knuckles wrote:Right, I've just spent 3 angry hours F****** about with it, dropping the wheels in wasn't much of a problem, however, when I applied power the wheels span and stopped, from then on was just a vibrating 'brrrrrrrr' So after lots of wheel faffing and bogey gear faffing I spent about 10 minutes trying to pry the body off, scared I was going to bugger it.
Is this REALLY nessasary?
I don't have 16 hands, trying to unclip everything and pull everything all at the same time is a really un userfriendly design.
ok so I'm inside... great, motor, flywheel, drive shaft, universal joint, virticle gearbox, horizontal gear box, on both sides. Cue an hour or 2 of no progress.
Motor/flywheels were just 'brrrrring' side to side as if obstruction but could never find where it was, now when I test power there is just a quiet 'buur' with hardly any noise or movement at all.
I've removed wheels and put old ones back in and all sorts but no different.
Really unhappy and %$^&*() now cus I've got to find someone who knows what they are doing and repair it. Easy conversion may arse! Would have been if the model didn't decide to die on me.
before all that bother I had a short circuit that I didn't realise until the controller passsed out, I had a hammer accross the test track at the far end. MONG, so after that I changed controllers but loco was still almost dead, probably too hot. After the above quote the next day I went to my local Model Railway Club in Coventry and one of the guys had a look at it for me. His controller worked after a few tweaks and he deduced that I possibly hadn't put the wheels on the correct way because the 00 wheels have an insulated collar/washer on one side, I put it back together and it ran on the layout great. Anyway, content that it was me being thick I went home feeling better only to find that upon me testing it on my controller it was still 'Brrrring' again and doing not much. Perplexed at this I changed my controller back to the original one (that must have recovered) and wheeeynz! It was working! I had to muck about removing the bogey sides repeatedly becasue when you put them on they push the contacts out of position so when adjusting the pick-ups make sure you overdo them slightly to compensate. Now, awkwardness and most pitfalls aside I'll present the conversion.
This is the standard modul upturned with 00 wheels and bogey keeper plate in place.
This is a P4 Ultrascale wheel plonked for comparison purposes.
I wasn't sure how to get the keeper plate off, hence all the scratch damage and abuse. The sheet with the model was useless and so was my internet serches. Rather than pinching what looks like sprung tabs you just have to literally force it off from underneith and not break it - great.
Ignore the stray contact pick-up, lots of gears inside!
This wheel is not in properly, if you look at the collars at each side of the axle they are too close in to properly fit into the 'U' shaped 'half pipe' axle holder/bush thingy. (I'm brilliant at describing things arn't I!?) this was only on 2 wheels and to sure it I gently filed a smidge off the half pipe things, wasn't complicated, just enough to shave about 0.3 of a mm or so. (rough guess) After which they fit in perfectly. Again, this was only on a couple. I did check the back to backs with a Exactoscale block and the wheelset was a tad tight, I eased it out but still had to trim the bogey body.
00 wheels removed and contacts bent out a bit (refer to the above problem, bend them more than nessasary for the boget sides that pull away move them when replaced)
P4 wheels literally 'dropped in', they don't call them drop in wheel sets for nothing! And after replace the keeper plate by pushing at various angles. Job done, I tested it on my bit of stray C&L track it ran perfect, went round a curve I bent that must have been no more than 15 or so inches radius, I kid you not.
Hope that's helped somebody.
Apart from my problems that you shouldn't have had it was well easy. First P4 conversion successfull. [Tick]