Dapol Class 22

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Dapol Class 22

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:12 pm

Philip Hall wrote:
Flymo wrote

whatever Ultrascale _could_ produce them for, we would have to charge 20% more - we are VAT registered and they aren't.

I had an invoice from Ultrascale the other day and they do charge VAT. Not that it would really make any difference to the impracticalities...

Hi Philip,

Thanks very much for that information. When I spoke with them last year on a different project, I was told that the wheels business was not within the scope of VAT.

Whilst, as you say, that may not help with the Class 22 issue, it may prove to be good news on another project that the Committee has been considering that had hit a financial roadblock.

Cheers
P.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Just got mine yesterday and what a lovely little thing it is. A very smooth runner and goes very well in 'snail mode'

I've pulled the bogie keeper plate off and removed a wheelset. They have to be 'popped out' as the brass bearings are retained as a push fit in the frames.

The wheels are 'meaty enough' for a turning down solution. There is sufficent length on the half axles that to fit back into the gear muff when pulled out for re-gauging. Some Loctite would probably do the trick for certainty. Also what may or may not be needed could be a few 2mm washers to go between the back of the wheelset and the outside edge of the brass bearing as it is a sliding fit on the axle..

The removal of the bogie keeper plate took a bit of figuring out, but does come away by carefully pushing in with a small screwdriver at the front where there is a split in the main bogie moulding.

007.JPG

008.JPG

012.JPG

009.JPG

011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:44 pm

"There is sufficent length on the half axles that to fit back into the gear muff when pulled out for re-gauging. Some Loctite would probably do the trick for certainty. Also what may or may not be needed could be a few 2mm washers to go between the back of the wheelset and the outside edge of the brass bearing as it is a sliding fit on the axle."

Exactly the information I was looking for when I wrote in on 16 Jan. Thanks, John. This presumably also means that fitting other wheels (e.g. Ultrascale tender wheels having an approximation to the right number of spokes) would also work, assuming the axle ends on the Dapol model are 2mm diameter(?)

Does anyone have any comments on the fit between the 'valance' above the bogies and the main body moulding?

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Martin - provided the axles are 2mm (which I believe to be the case, although I haven't checked on my own example yet), then the Ultrascale tender wheel option should work fine as well.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:42 pm

martin goodall wrote: Exactly the information I was looking for when I wrote in on 16 Jan. Thanks, John. This presumably also means that fitting other wheels (e.g. Ultrascale tender wheels having an approximation to the right number of spokes) would also work, assuming the axle ends on the Dapol model are 2mm diameter(?)

You're welcome Martin. Yes they are 2mm. They will have to have shorting wires as the Dapol 00 wheels are all metal.
John

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:12 am

Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:19 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:Take a look here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -class-22/ doesn't look too hard really.

Certainly for those who have the skills and the equipment it is quite straightforward. I have done it myself with some Lima diesel wheels (see Scalefour News 159) but these were a bit easier since they are all metal. For measuring the diameter of the inside of the tyre, I used the inside measuring function of a vernier gauge.

Terry Bendall

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:58 am

According to their update this morning it looks like that they are might be re-considering so let's hope that there are sufficient 'registrations of interest' sent to them.
John

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:00 pm

I have dropped a note to Ultrascale and have had a reply to the affect that they are waiting to see what interest there may be.

However, they do caution that it is a day's worth of work and it all needs to be done by hand, so there will be quite a significant cost.
Mark Tatlow

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:31 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
grovenor-2685 wrote:Take a look here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -class-22/ doesn't look too hard really.

Certainly for those who have the skills and the equipment it is quite straightforward.

And for the rest of us, it's back to those tender wheels!

(I now have the equipment, just not the skills to use it yet...)
Tim M

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:I have dropped a note to Ultrascale and have had a reply to the affect that they are waiting to see what interest there may be.

However, they do caution that it is a day's worth of work and it all needs to be done by hand, so there will be quite a significant cost.

I think that's the issue, Mark. If it takes on person 8 hours to do one set of wheels, I do wonder how much that will cost in relation to the cost of the locomotive?

It makes a set of spoked bogie wheels look rather attractive... ;)
Tim M

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:
Mark Tatlow wrote:It makes a set of spoked bogie wheels look rather attractive... ;)

No hinting at all there Tim! ;)

Regards,

Nick

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:58 pm

A shame that Ultrascale are not doing the 22. I've bought one now but it will have to remain 00 for a while. Do we have to email them again? Surely there are more than 32 people now.
Michael
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:48 am

Mornin' chaps,

Ultrascale are currently doing my third class 22 conversion...turning the original wheelsets and adding P4 tyres. The first 2 run very well.

There is an image of one and a report of this in the CAG Meeting reports for 2014 thread.

Dave

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:17 am

Mornin' all,

Here are a couple of close ups of the Ultrascale route to P4 22s. As you would expect the standard of David's work leaves no suggestion of any alterations having been done. The insertion/removal of the wheelsets is as straightforward as the unmodified ones and the operation of the finished loco is no different to how it first arrived as a new purchase.

P1100715.JPG

P1100716.JPG

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:17 am

Tor Giffard wrote:Mornin' all,

Here are a couple of close ups of the Ultrascale route to P4 22s. As you would expect the standard of David's work leaves no suggestion of any alterations having been done. The insertion/removal of the wheelsets is as straightforward as the unmodified ones and the operation of the finished loco is no different to how it first arrived as a new purchase.

P1100715.JPG

P1100716.JPG

Dave

Is this modification facility still available Dave, or was it a one off by Ultrascale?

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:20 am

Mornin' Simon,

My third class 22 conversion is currently being done by David. Be prepared to post just the wheelsets to him for turning/fitting of P4 tyres, wait 6 months for him to get to your turn in the queue and pay up when he has finished.

Just give him a call

Dave
Last edited by Tor Giffard on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:27 am

HOW much?

I'd go Tims route or just arrange new pick ups for that price. (but then as I've said else where I'm a cheapskate!)

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:33 am

Mornin' Jim,

Everyone is free to choose their own route and consequent amount of their own time spent on getting to the end result. Choice is the key factor.

Dave

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:27 am

Tor Giffard wrote:Mornin' Simon,

My third class 22 conversion is currently being done by David. Be prepared to post just the wheelsets to him for turning/fitting of P4 tyres, wait 6 months for him to get to your turn in the queue and pay £230ish when he has finished.

Just give him a call

Dave

Er... I think I'll give that a miss.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:30 am

Very true

But for the sake of an extra hour to redo the pickups I could never justify* that price. For the cost of 2 locos you could have brought a lathe!

Cheers

Jim

* what am I talking about justify? If I'm honest I mean afford! :D
Jim Smith-Wright

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:50 am

....and once I've purchased a lathe I'll need to leave it set up in space which I don't have...believe me I've checked out the options and this has to be my route. Everyone else is free to choose their preferred path too.

Dave

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:11 am

There's definitely a market there for someone. Even if you just contract it out to a local engineering company you could make some good money.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:53 am

....if anyone is aware of an individual capable of working to the Ultrascale standard and at lower prices then please make us all aware of their contact details.

Dave

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:43 am

Hi Dave,

Re. Your Ultrascale class 22 wheel conversion to P4 and the cost, it does sound a lot of money, but if workshop time is costed out at even a very low £25 per hour, it only equates only about one hour per wheel plus handling and postage. It looks to me as if the split axles were changed too, so it starts to look like a very reasonable deal.

Colin

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”