Dapol Class 22

Tor Giffard

Re: Dapol Class 22

Postby Tor Giffard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:51 am

Hi Colin,

The aforementioned 3rd class 22 wheelsets and 2nd Dapol Beattie well tank wheelsets ironically arrived in the post this morning. Members of the NAG & CAG have already seen/inspected my Ultrascale products and feel that I have a bargain esp. with the well tank wheelsets.

The challenge is there boys....match the quality at a lower price.

Dave

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 am

jim s-w wrote:There's definitely a market there for someone.

There are probably quite a lot of people on here who turn their own wheels but whether they want to do it for anyone else is another matter.

Colin Parks wrote:it only equates only about one hour per wheel plus handling and postage.

Once set up with the appropriate form tool and mandrel to held the wheels I would expect to do the whole set in about an hour. :D What you are paying for is the skill to be able to do the job, but it is not that difficult.

Tor Giffard wrote:once I've purchased a lathe I'll need to leave it set up in space which I don't have

Buying a decent lathe new is likely to cost a bit more than £460 but a secondhand one could certainly be bought for that sort of price. A small model maker's lathe is unlikely to need more than about 2 feet of bench space but of course each to his own.

Terry Bendall

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:34 am

Mornin' Terry,

My workbenches are the temporary ones erected in the conservatory...I get away with about a weeks modelling before having to restore it to its intended purpose. The former garage is completely given over to baseframe accommodation...therefore no lasting bench space anywhere. In an ideal world I would already have a good lathe in a permanent situation but alas this isn't the case.

Dave

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”