Drive on six wheel motor bogies.

Re6/6

Drive on six wheel motor bogies.

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm going to be scratching some six wheel motor bogies, as seemingly there are no proprietary ones available with the correct wheelbase.

The drive will be by central can motor, magnetic or Squires epicyclic clutch and large flywheel with gear towers on each bogie.

As I'm intending to spring two of the axles, my question is, should the fixed drive axle ideally be the centre one or on either the front/rear axle.

Any experiences/knowledge would be gratefully received.

Thanks

John
John

Russ Elliott

Re: Drive on six wheel motor bogies.

Postby Russ Elliott » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:21 pm

I think your decision will be dictated by the arrangement of the gear train linking the axles, and what kind of container that gear train might be carried in.

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks Russ. I'll have to work that one out first.
John

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:11 pm

Can you not drive an intermediate gear in a straight train and spring all of the axles?

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:10 pm

How about this? Axle hung motors, though this is in Scale7. I think a certain Mr Scannell has done something similar in 4mm.
IMG_2395.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Axle hung motors are (about to be) available from a Canadian source in P87, should be useable with replacement wheels depending on depth of pocket, they are not cheap.
See http://www.railflyermodel.com/collections/model-kit-drive-motor
Regarding the original question, I would not be happy with a fixed centre axle in a three axle set up, if you really must have a fixed one make it an end axle, but why do you want a fixed axle?
Have you looked at Chris Pendlenton's Deltic article in MRJ?
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi John

Struggling to think of a 6 wheel per bogie deisel not available rtr or announced? Can you give us a clue?

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Further to Keith's post above some details can be gleaned from here;

http://www.railflyermodel.com/collectio ... ale-trucks

This product is not yet ready for market but is getting close.

HTH

David

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:33 am

jim s-w wrote:Hi John

Struggling to think of a 6 wheel per bogie deisel not available rtr or announced? Can you give us a clue?

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim.

They would be for a Bulleid electric CC3. You're quite right to set me thinking further about RTR options. I checked on the very useful CLAG site http://www.clag.org.uk/wheelbase.html (which I had forgotten about) to find that the class 45 bogie has the necessary 8ft axle spacing required, so I looked at an unconverted Bachmann model and this could have potential (albeit with two axle drive and a 'pony truck') perhaps using the drive and gear tower.

Thanks all for the input.

The 'axle hung motor' type look very interesting.
John

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:10 pm

John, I already have a Bachmann Cl 40 chassis earmarked for a cut-and-shut for one of these.
Rod

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:17 pm

davknigh wrote:Further to Keith's post above some details can be gleaned from here;

http://www.railflyermodel.com/collectio ... ale-trucks

This product is not yet ready for market but is getting close.

Have just checked this. I think the website has problems.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:21 am

Railflyer has been having some difficulties with finances of late so all projects are moving a bit slowly plus they are trying to get their shop set up so they can do their own machining in Canada rather than outsourcing over the seas and far away. They seem to have all the bits, just need to get them all together. Stay tuned as they say...

Cheers,

David

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:35 am

Strange, though. Two weeks ago when I looked at the site, it claimed the traction motors were ready and available to order, especially in P87. About 40 dollars each....

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Railflyer seems to be up and active again http://www.railflyermodel.com/
Not a wealth of information but contact is possible for those who wish to go further.

HTH

David

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:31 pm

John

Alternatively you may wish to wait for Justin's Class 40 bogies...fully sprung. Having seen the finished article I can assure you it will be worth the wait. Might be worth dropping him a PM to see where he is with developments.

Mike

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 am

Mike Garwood wrote:.... you may wish to wait for Justin's Class 40 bogies...fully sprung. Having seen the finished article I can assure you it will be worth the wait. Might be worth dropping him a PM to see where he is with developments.

Mmm.....especially now that I've stumbled across a few pages on axle-hung traction motors.....

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:03 am

http://www.railflyermodel.com/collectio ... tion-motor

They even say it is suitable for EM/P4
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Hardwick wrote:http://www.railflyermodel.com/collections/model-kit-drive-motor/products/mk-9011-traction-motor

They even say it is suitable for EM/P4

You can have it virtually any way you want. Who's going to volunteer to try ordering a few?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 am

I could not get a sensible reply about the pricing, when he offers
2 X MK-9002-PWRD (RP25-88) - Trucks with motors installed & PCB. MSRP $129.49

ie you get 6 motors complete with trucks and the electronics for 129.49, I just don't see buying the motors at 34.49 each, which comes to 206.97, a penalty of over 75 dollars for NOT taking the trucks and electronics or the labour of assembling them.
Keith
(of course the prices might change when they are actually on sale).
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:50 am

I could never work out how Railflyer was/is intending to control the motors.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:19 am

There is quite a lot of description of the circuit boards they have designed, it reads a bit as "all things to all men" but not enough info to understand how it works, or how they will be able to deliver at the above inclusive price.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:40 am

I read the voluminous Railflyer bumf, but there was nothing describing how any of it might work. I got the impression he was trying to devise a new generation of DCC chip as yet unknown to anyone else.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:46 am

Always hear alarm bells when something is 'available' but the website shows the cad only. Is it available at all and if so does it look anything like the cad (hornby got panned for this with some of their scaledale stuff)

There's a couple of discussions on railflyer on various US forums.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?3,3018557
http://atlasrescueforum.proboards.com/i ... age=1#5958

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

JFS

Postby JFS » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:23 pm

jim s-w wrote:Always hear alarm bells when ...... the website shows the cad only.

Spot on Jim! It seems to me that there are far too many people around this hobby who think that because they can produce a nice looking 3D CAD image they will be able to produce a [saleable] model. I suspect that there are a number of people (and not only in the US) who have parted with hard cash on the basis of sexy looking CAD images on some forum or other only to discover that the real-world version fails to live up to the promise.

For me, this is kind of hobby where it is as well to look in the box before you buy - or at least to go from the recommendation of someone who has looked in the box! Thanks goodness for shows and the traders who sell at them ;)

Cheers,

Howard

David Catton

Postby David Catton » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:31 pm

I have two Rail Flyer motor/gearboxes beside me here but that's because I visited Chris Howard at his home in Canada and discussed his plans in detail. I can assure you that his intentions are very serious but he was let down comprehensively by his Chinese suppliers who could not meet the tolerances he specified. He has invested in equipment to allow him to manufacture the components he requires for his product range and this has taken time to set up and get working. All this has cost him a great deal of money and in the recession his revenue from his other products has been lower than hoped which has delayed his endeavours.

It's very easy to sit back and comment about the shortcomings of those who take the risk to provide the components we would all like to have immediately available and this is especially true of start-up enterprises who lack the capital they would love to have available to fulfill their plans. I would ask that Chris is given a chance to survive his financial difficulties before too many rash conclusions are drawn about what he is trying to deliver.

Even Hornby has experienced difficulties with its suppliers . . .

David C

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”