Hornby Cl 25, 37 & 47 driving wheels.

doggeface

Hornby Cl 25, 37 & 47 driving wheels.

Postby doggeface » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Has anyone found a source of P4 wheels for the Hornby range of DE and Tender Drive units? I would like to retain my 4-4-0 collection in their original format and have formed quite an attachemnt to the DE range. All of these have modern chassis with multi pickups fitted. The Gibson catalogue indicates that wheels are available for these locos but I cannot get any details. As their RTR conversion kits are mostly for modern Bachmann and ultra modern Hornby I have some doubts. All help is very welcome!

Peter

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Hornby Cl 25, 37 & 47 driving wheels.

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:11 pm

I think there are 3 ways of dealing with these.

1. Buy Ultrascale conversion wheelsets.

2. Exercise your ingenuity, the existing wheelbacks with gears can be grafted onto replacement wheels, in this case any wheelset with a 2mm axle can be used.

3. Replace the chassis with something better. Simplest would be Bachmann for Cl25, Vi-trains for Classes 37 and 47.

For tender drives option 1 will work but so far as I know you have to accept the diesel wheels, option 2 is also possible with a wider choice of wheels.. Option 3 would mean going for a Comet chassis which would not meet your spec. of existing format.

Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

doggeface

Re: Hornby Cl 25, 37 & 47 driving wheels.

Postby doggeface » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:06 am

Thanks for reminding me of Ultrascale -- I do believe that I had erased them from my thinking when I read their rider which declared them to have a 3 month delay built into orders!

This and the extraordinary price of wheel sets must be part of the reason for a lack of younger members. Continental modellers all suffer the same problem for RTR kit and hence the poor following -- you really do need a lot of disposable income to fuel our hobby.

It would be an interesting exercise to re-wheel a Hornby X942 power bogie using bits of the many new wheels in my box!

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”