High Level chassis kit for Class 03/04

Chas Levin

Re: High Level chassis kit for Class 03/04

Postby Chas Levin » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:14 am

jim s-w wrote:Don't be afraid to mx products together. I've had good results using mig ultra glue and super glue together, both wet. Also works with PVA and super glue.

Although on my 03 I think I just used loctite gel and haven't had any problems

Cheers

Jim

That's very interesting Jim: did you observe any differences of behaviour during setting when you mixed things like PVA and cyano? How did it compre to the way either glue usually sets?
Chas

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:57 am

Chas Levin wrote:did you observe any differences of behaviour during setting when you mixed things like PVA and cyano? How did it compre to the way either glue usually sets?

There are two other questions to consider:
1) what is the effective lifespan of the mixture when compared to the components separately, i.e. how long does the bond last?
2) what are the products, in terms of the chemicals involved, of the mixing process and what are their effects?
Regards
Noel

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:39 pm

Chas Levin wrote:
That's very interesting Jim: did you observe any differences of behaviour during setting when you mixed things like PVA and cyano? How did it compre to the way either glue usually sets?

I usually use 1 glue on each surface. Still sets in a similar time to the superglue but it's not something I've really noticed.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:44 pm

Noel wrote:
1) what is the effective lifespan of the mixture when compared to the components separately, i.e. how long does the bond last?
2) what are the products, in terms of the chemicals involved, of the mixing process and what are their effects?

1 - in some cases of Lima bogies (a particularly slimy plastic) I've got some I did decades ago

2 - nothing perceivable. I leave that stuff to people who prefer worrying about technicalities over getting stuff done. ;) :D
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:04 pm

DaveHarris wrote:Many thanks for all the responses to my question. Sorry to 'hijack' the original posting. Have now plenty of food for thought and a little experimentation. :thumb

Hi Dave,

Just my point of view, but this isn't hijacking at all. You asked a question that carried on the topic. That is totally relevant, and hopefully your post will help people in the future in the same way that John's original build sequence did.

Best wishes,
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:38 pm

Thanks Paul :thumb

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”