High Level chassis kit for Class 03/04

David Knight

Re: High Level chassis kit for Class 03/04

Postby David Knight » Mon May 28, 2012 1:36 pm

Knuckles,

Add my name to the chorus suggesting moderation. As you seem to be a steam type of guy might I suggest you have a look at this thread, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1037 which details another conversion, a J72, that will give you a fully CSBed frame with minimal grief before you plunge into the murky waters of a full kit build?

Cheers,

David

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon May 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys, seems I accidently hijacked the thread somewhat.

I'll try to respond to most of what you have collectively replied with.

I have a bachmann Pannier tank and was thinking of getting Ultrascale drop in wheels for that perticular loco rather than a new chassis build.

Am also thinking of getting a Heljan CoBo Class 28 and also some Ultrascale drop in wheels sets. I think those two may be easyish conversions.

Re Templot; I too have trouble finding the time to give it a session becasue my head hurts and thinking about it hurts my head too! So I have to be in the right frame of mind to consider loading it up - not a good motivator to be honest! I will check out those links though, I do want to learn it becasue I can see how good it will be once cracked and I also need to transfer my 00 plans I made on Anyrail to P4 on Templot to get a better ide aof what will or won't fit in my given space.

I've also been thinking of using BrassMasters Easi Chass for the pacific conversions but like anything it's a lot of money to make a pigs ear of it, yet, I think I'll have more chance than building a full complex 4-6-2 chassis from a flat etch, valve gear et al. The other reason I'd like to do that one is because it's the biggest type of loco I plan to run so I could get a better idea of cornering limits using it, again if you remember before I said a fair amount of my corners are off scene so it's more a case of performance than visual importance.

I'm not a Sodor only modeller, I know it's seen as babyish but my vision is far removed from what most see or expect regarding it.

I'm a steam fan probably 65% and Diesels the rest.

So many options isn't there!?

Been thinking of this for a while - http://www.caleycoaches.co.uk/class812.php

but to keep with the thread subject, I do want to build an 04 Drewer Diesel at some point.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon May 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Knuckles wrote:...I've also been thinking of using BrassMasters Easi Chass for the pacific conversions but like anything it's a lot of money to make a pigs ear of it, yet, I think I'll have more chance than building a full complex 4-6-2 chassis from a flat etch, valve gear et al. ...

I don't think that a significant risk for you Knuckles, you've already displayed the persistence and determination to keep at it until you get it right that is the real secret of a successful modeller.

Will

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon May 28, 2012 10:02 pm

Knuckles wrote:Been thinking of this for a while - http://www.caleycoaches.co.uk/class812.php

An 0 - 6 - 0 with inside cylinders, will be at the more sensible end of the spectrum of builds.

I am not sure what the Caley Coaches 812 class kit is like but Davknigh is doing one in the great 3F build off. Jim Summers also have a very fine finished model I am aware.............

Make sure you get this: http://www.billhudsontransportbooks.co. ... 8&pid=2544

There are loads and loads of pictures of the loco in varying states of dismemberment when it was being restored. Fabulous for a modeller wondering where each bit goes.
Mark Tatlow

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks guys, I'll take a look.

To you though Mark, I completed reading the Breakdown Crane book last night! Very very good to say the least. Was also supprised to hear of the close call your Dad had with that oxygen bottle! (If I read that correctly)

I've sent Coment Models an email for details on their Royal Scot Chassis kit. It's another option that I might try, albeit slightly complex, however If it's suitable and I manage it then we have a P4 Fury on our hands. Then again, I might just go for an 0-6-0 first, we'll see.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Knuckles wrote:..... seems I accidently hijacked the thread somewhat.....

That's alright. We do it all the time! :D

I do want to build an 04 Drewry Diesel at some point.

Will you be fitting false eyelashes to the front to represent "Mavis" :?: ;)
That would be an ecumenical matter.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Right, back to a Class 03/04. I've been minded to get this model to some sort of finished state. So today I spent some time figuring out how to fit Kadee couplings. The loco won't be much use if it can't couple to anything :-)

So, some mental gymnastics later, a small slot has been cut at each end, just big enough for a number 39 Kadee pocket. I've not quite figured out how to jigsaw it all together yet (insert comment here about planning in advance of building things), but I'm sure it will work out.

IMG_0375.jpg

Looking at the prototype photos I have, it seems this (old) Bachmann body lacks a distinctive 'hump' on top of the bonnet before the cab. So far, I've not turned up a subset of locos the body is accurate for. Is there a group of locos this body is an accurate (ish) representation of?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Locos with a hump are class 03, those without are class 04, so far as i remember.
I also have one of these I keep looking at.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks Keith. That seems to be confirmed by some googling.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Part of my cunning plan here is to pilot all the techniques I'll need on Tornado. So today I thought I'd try stripping off the green paint, in prep for a respray to Blue.

Using Phoenix Paints stripper (recommended for use on plastic bodies in several places) I found that the paint came away easily. I then started scrubbing with a toothbrush to remove some of the more stubborn bits.

It was then I discovered that the plastic had softened, and I was scoring into the body with brushmarks. I recall having this problem in ancient times when I stripped another plastic kit - the stripper (a different one then) takes the plastic into a slightly gooey state that needs handling with care (but will be fine with time after a rinse).

Is this typical, or have I lucked out (perhaps unfortunately) with this chemical and body combo?

And there is still some paint adhered to the body. Any tips for removal?

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:03 pm

Soaking in Dettol, the classic brown variety, diluted 50:50 with water for 24 hours or so is good for stripping paint. It will attack plastic if left for long enough, but nowhere near as bad as your description.

Some enamel paints will turn very oily and sticky, so gloves are a good idea. I've mostly experienced this on old Lima models.

Acrylic paints will come off in a skin, if you are lucky. A gentle scrub with a toothbrush will get the remaining paint from rebated areas.
James Dickie

My workbench

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Hmm. I do wonder if I overdid the soak (I submerged the body in stripper for ~25-30 mins) and should have instead left it only for a few mins and then scrubbed. It seemed to start having an effect after only a few mins, but I was keen to leave it for the 20 or so mins the instructions suggested might be appropriate.

When I tested a small amount on the inside of the plastic, I didn't notice the melting effect. Several people have noted I can be over-keen with consumables!

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:35 pm

John McAleely wrote:When I tested a small amount on the inside of the plastic, I didn't notice the melting effect. Several people have noted I can be over-keen with consumables!

Well, the members of CHEAG didn't want to comment, but you're normally good for a round, and the pub has subsequently learned to get a second barrel in on Thursday nights :-)

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks Paul (I think!). Looking more closely at my handiwork after a restful cooking session, I think I'm less worried. The first area I thought I'd have to make smooth again, I'm now suspicious is actually some very thick paint - note the remaining impression from the transfer, which clearly was not my toothbrushes' work:

IMG_4798.jpg

I'm not even convinced that the more alarming affect on the radiator is not just paint sloshing around in slow motion:

IMG_4797.jpg

There clearly is some damage to 'melted' plastic - I have a couple less handrails to slice off - but I think I will have a fresh go with the same stripper tomorrow and a toothbrush. I'll use a little less this time.

Hopefully I can bring a tidy result (and not molten plastic) to the CHEAG workshop this weekend.

As a side note, it's brought up the brass steps very shiny!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Regarding the Caley 812 - this does make up into an attractive model but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as an early foray into etched kit construction.

Like most Caley tenders, the 3000 gallon tender with the kit has rounded corners - the tender body is a single etched strip with the 4 tight curves having to be made precisely. A top panel then has to be soldered all the way around which has to be flared outwards with "fingers" at the corner having to be infilled with solder then everything rubbed down to end up hopefully with a nice smooth finish. A length of wire then has to be soldered along the edge to represent the beading - without melting the solder on the infilled corners. (If I've not explained that too well, the instructions can be viewed on the Caley Coaches website). All of this could be very off-putting for someone with little experience of working with brass.

I've got one of these kits sitting in a cupboard with only time delaying its build. However, I'll breath a sigh of relief when the tender body is completed.

Lindsay

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:58 pm

I also have a High Level 03 chassis lurking in the cupboard. In looking on this thread i see mention of Gluing steps to the chassis. My limited experience of trying to glue metal to the hard plastic used by the commercial manufacturers has resulted in failure! The glue (i have used exoxy resin two part glue) does not seem to want to hold to hard commercial plastic! Any tips and suggestions would be welcome before i bugger up another loco!? :?:

Chas Levin

Postby Chas Levin » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:03 pm

Hello Dave, I too have had issues with epoxy and other types on many plastics, especially those that feel slightly slippery, including some plastic card.

I've found though that cyano / superglue will work where almost no others do, including on hard and/or slippery plastic. The Roket ones - I use very runny and gel for different purposes - generally do work.

Apologies if you've already tried cyano or if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick, but in case this helps...
Chas

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:19 pm

Chas, Thanks for your comment. I was put off cynao glues many years ago and havent tried them since (time marches on and maybe they are better). I will abrade both surfaces and pop to my local model shop and get some thick , and gel and try again! Thanks for your response

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:22 pm

This may help?

TRICKY STICK
Allows cyano to bond difficult shiny plastics and foam.

Surface primer for EPP, EPO, acetals, fluorinated rubbers, silicones, polythene, polypropylene. Increases the versatility of cyano as a glue and improves strength.

https://deluxematerials.co.uk/collectio ... icky-stick
Steve Carter

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:37 pm

Tricky Stick is good stuff as Steve says. Some brands of epoxy aren’t as happy on hard plastic/styrene as others: my favourite for most things, Plastic Padding Super Steel, is not as good on plastic as 5-minute Devcon. I use it to glue tyres on wheels. Cyanos: I used to be very fond of Hafixs, even on some rtr chassis plastics, but after a couple of bottles which went hard too soon after purchase I’ve gone over to Everbuild, available via Amazon in medium and heavy viscosity, along with a spray accelerator. Anything needing a bit more strength I try and pin as well,

Philip

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:30 pm

Philip,

Thanks for the information. I will obtain samples of each and see how i get on with them.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:53 am

Don't be afraid to mx products together. I've had good results using mig ultra glue and super glue together, both wet. Also works with PVA and super glue.

Although on my 03 I think I just used loctite gel and haven't had any problems

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Simon_S

Postby Simon_S » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:24 am

I don't think you need to worry about this, there's a large surface area for the glue to work on (the whole inside of the deep bufferbeam) and the plastic is a user friendly type, at least on my old Mainline moulding. I used standard Araldite and it's very secure.

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:48 pm

I now use Loctite 480, which is a black 'instant adhesive' (actually gives a few seconds grace) which is 'toughened'. I think this is some form of rubber in the mix, so while it works in much the same way as liquid (as opposed to the gel type) cyno, it doesn't end up quite as brittle.

Dave Holt gave me the recommendation from his demo table at S4um 22, & I'm very impressed with it.

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:28 pm

Many thanks for all the responses to my question. Sorry to 'hijack' the original posting. Have now plenty of food for thought and a little experimentation. :thumb

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”