New version Bachmann Class 03

chris_mccarthy

New version Bachmann Class 03

Postby chris_mccarthy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:02 am

Can anyone please advise whether the new version of the Bachmann 03 shunter has any form of springing or compensation such as might make it a candidate for a simple P4 conversion, using packed out frames or whatever? In any case, what axle diameter does it use? Any general opinion on the chassis and its running qualites also welcome.

Can't find any practical info on the new 03 despite quite a lot of Googling etc.

Thanks in anticipation

Chris McCarthy

Rustyrail

Re: New version Bachmann Class 03

Postby Rustyrail » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Hello Chris,

I've got two of the new re-tooled Bachmann 03 diesel shunters. One is the plain BR green model with cone chimney and the other is the later BR green version with flower pot chimney. I make the distinction for a specific reason. The latter is prone to binding at slow speeds on the coupling rods between the rear axles and jackshaft. This seems to be a common fault with this model which I've read on various model railway forums. It is fairly easy to cure I believe, but does mean removing the coupling rods and reaming out the crank pin holes a tad. The plain green version, however, runs very smoothly, and again I think this is a common characteristic for this model. As to possible spring in the chassis, there isn't any unlike the Bachmann 08. As a candidate for P4 conversion I'd say it would be fairly straightforward if a suitable set of 03 driving wheels and axles were purchased from Alan Gibson (the only 4mm version currently available I believe) and the original Bachmann gears were removed from the OO axles and placed on the P4 set. Another option would be to use the compensated chassis kit produced by Chris Gibbon of High Level Kits for the earlier Bachmann/Mainline 03 bodies. The body work for the new Bachmann 03 is superb and very finely detailed with a metal running plate and metal buffer beams.

Cheers
Simon

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm not sure what the axle diameter is for the stock model.

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Ultrascale may be working on a conversion set for it as well.. I can't remember if the axle size was 2mm or 3mm but Alan Gibson should know anyway as people must have ordered replacements by now.

My chassis is packed up for sale as its going to be replaced with a High Level chassis I got cheaply though I intend converting it to springing. The chassis needs a small amount of the frames removing to fit under the new body but it does mean less work than using the old one plus the benefit of the metal running plate. As mentioned there is no springing on the middle axle and I believe this is Bachmann standard now unlike earlier models :(.

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:56 pm

An Ultrascale wheel set for this loco would be great - I'd buy a set for sure.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Rustyrail wrote:Another option would be to use the compensated chassis kit produced by Chris Gibbon of High Level Kits for the earlier Bachmann/Mainline 03 bodies. The body work for the new Bachmann 03 is superb and very finely detailed with a metal running plate and metal buffer beams.

You would do far worse than ask John McAleely for his views on that chassis. As you may have seen from his picture elsewhere on the Forum, he was hard at work on one last weekend at Missenden and made excellent progress.

I know (for I was sat next to him) that he took a number of pictures of the various stages of the build, so that may give you a good idea of how iut goes together.

Now let's see if this will smoke him out of the woodwork to say something ;-)

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”