how do I convert a Bachmann 47 to P4

dgp1957

how do I convert a Bachmann 47 to P4

Postby dgp1957 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi, I was given a Bachmann class 47 DCC ready as a wee gift, how can I improve the model and convert it to P4?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: how do I convert a Bachmann 47 to P4

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Its easy enough to change the wheelsets, but----
A large percentage of the Bachmann bogies are misaligned, ie the centre axle is not in line with the end axles with the result that, on flat track, the bogie rocks on its centre axle. Changing the wheelsets on one like that is a waste of time as the end axle lifts off and the P4 flanges are not big enough to keep it on the rails. I had to buy two more bogies as spares and 2 out of the 4 were just about worth a try, still took a lot of work on the centre axle bearings to get the end axles sitting on the rail solidly and its still not as good as I would like. So first of all test the bogies on a bit of flat track or a plate glass, anything flat, see if both end axles will touch the rail at the same time.
There is already a topic on this, complete with video of the rocking problem and answers to most of your questions, take a look at it.
http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=211&start=0
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Its possible to make it an A-1-A drive system and then spring the middle axle and hence get around the banana bogies. Heljan diesels run fine out of the box without the middle axles driven and it doesn't cause much of an issue with the Bachmann either!

See: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... d-problem/

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:07 pm

Interesting that the 'man from Bachmann' comes up with this idea! rather than suggesting they build the things properly. However it all depends on your personal foibles, one of mine is that I want my locos driven on the same axles as the prototype hence my pleasure when Bachmann brought out the all-wheel drive version turning to disappointment that they made such a bad job of it.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

RichardC

Postby RichardC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi,As you said "The man from Bachmann " came up with the idea instead of getting them to build them correct.Well to set things straight.As disscussed withCraig at the Bluebell in the summer.This is how i tryed to over come any issues with bogies rocking on the centre axle.I have no in put within the company to change chinas way of doing things.For that you would have to speak to those in charge.
Thanks Richard

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:35 am

It seems that the Bachmann bogies don't fit now I have the wider P4 wheels in place (tested and working). Has anyone else done this conversion? Am I correct in thinking that chunks of the brake moulding supports need chopping off?
Oh dear, Another reason NOT to buy Bachmann locos...
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:36 am

Yes you have to take all the brakes off and fettle on a P4 conversion, same as a 37.

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”