Converting a Lima Class 47 to P4

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Converting a Lima Class 47 to P4

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:01 am

Morning all,

Hopefully most of you are heading towards Scaleforum, so this request may fall on deaf ears for a couple of days. We have received a request for help via the contact form on the Society website from one of our members, Keith Whittle:

"I have a very old LIMA class 47 that I am trying to convert to S4. A suitable set of wheels where eventually obtained from Gear Services, however they are a very sloppy fit in the LIMA chassis.

So the question is where can I find some 2 to 2.5 mm top hat bearings to take out the slop, or will I have to try to make some myself using some tube and spacers, having only minimal machine tools that could be fun(12 to make).

Hopefully someone can help me on this one."

So does anyone have practical experience and advice on this particular task? I'll pass on responses to Keith in due course.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Marketing Manager
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Russ Elliott

Re: Converting a Lima Class 47 to P4

Postby Russ Elliott » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:08 am

Flymo748 wrote:where can I find some 2 to 2.5 mm top hat bearings

AG does 2mm bore, 2.5mm body diameter, approx 1.5mm length top hats. I think I've seen some longer ones somewhere - EMGS conversion bushes??
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:25 am

I have only just seen this message since the last few days have been a bit busy.

I have converted Lima Locos but not for a very long time and we dont have any left now to look at. I would have thought that a standard top hat bearing might be a bit short and may slide out of the bogie centre slot. An easy way to make a longer bearing without a lathe would be to get some brass tube of suitable size with a 2mm inside diameter piece at the start and a larger size that is a sliding fit over the top for part of the length. One or more washers could also be soldered on to make a larger flange. The alternative would be to use a standard top hat bearing in the slot of the bogie centre and use plastic tubing as a spacer between the bearing and the back of the wheel.

Terry Bendall

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi Paul

Do you know if the wheels 'obtained' were the actual conversion set for a Lima 47? These have the correct sized axles for the Lima bogies

I might have a spare set if Keith is interested.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:04 am

Thanks to all of you for the comments. I'll pass them back to the person making the original request.

FYI, I also received a message from David Rogers of Ultrascale, who pays close attention to what we are saying over here :-)

"Having seen a posting on the above I felt that I should comment.

If the Lima conversion that Mr Whittle has obtained from us is the one I think it is, then he has the correct conversion for the loco and this conversion already has 2.5mm dia. axles so the bushes commented on by modellers will not be of any use.

Also I must say that I find it strange that if the customer has got this conversion from us that he did not contact us first, if he had a problem."

So the invitation is out there - please don't worry about struggling for answers youself, when a quick call to Ultrascale may explain all!

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:11 am

jim s-w wrote:Hi Paul

Do you know if the wheels 'obtained' were the actual conversion set for a Lima 47? These have the correct sized axles for the Lima bogies

I might have a spare set if Keith is interested.

Hi Jiim,

Thanks for the offer. I've sent a response to Keith. If I hear anything more, I'll give you a shout.

Cheers
P.
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”