Craftsman Johnson 1f.

simonmoore

Craftsman Johnson 1f.

Postby simonmoore » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:05 pm

I've just purchased a Craftsman Johnson 1f kit & on the website it say's OO & EM. Now surely it can be built in P4 but will this require major surgery ?
One of my friend's built me a Craftsman Nelson & he said the chassis was a pig of a thing to do & in the end he ended up fitting it to a Comet chassis. Can anyone tell me if they have built one of these kit's & have they used the chassis with the kit or replaced it with a set of Gibson frame's.
I'm trying to purchase kit's that will be within my limited modeling capability & something i am able to finish which will produce a working model & 0-6-0's seem to be my best & only real option due to being a basic design .

Simon.

Tim V

Re: Craftsman Johnson 1f.

Postby Tim V » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:33 pm

I have a feeling it's one of the older designs, you could always post a photo of the frames for our comments?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

simonmoore

Postby simonmoore » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:02 pm

Tim V wrote:I have a feeling it's one of the older designs, you could always post a photo of the frames for our comments?

Thanks Tim when the kit arrive's i'll post some photo's for examination.

Simon.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:45 am

you could always post a photo of the frames for our comments?

Or if you have a scanner its often easier just to scan the etch, they can be awkward to photograph.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:29 pm

Wait for the Bill Bedford chassis.

Alan

simonmoore

Postby simonmoore » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Bill's doing a chassis kit that's interesting i'll be keeping my eyes peeled for that then any idea when it is to be released??

Simon.

Tony W

Postby Tony W » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Simon

I made the loco in the attached photo a good number of years ago. The chassis uses the original sideframes but the foldup one-piece spacer provided was unsuitable for P4 and was discarded. It wouldn't have been used in any case as this was to be a split frame chassis so I made my own spacers. As I recall it wasn't the easiest of kits to assemble but that could have just been me. I do remember having to extend the height of one of the sidetanks as it was completely lop-sided first time round - that was quite an interesting exercise in desoldering without dismantling the rest of the kit!

Hope that's of use

Tony
41726 digital Side Rt 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simonmoore

Postby simonmoore » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Tony that look's cracking :shock:

I had a friend make me the craftsman nelson kit in OO & he said never again he hated it he calls it the kit from hell. The good news is that the kit looks superb although it is wearing a comet chassis.

I will not be using the frames that come with the kit i am going to wait for the Bill Bedford chassis kit for it. The are a few craftsman kits i wish to purchase which fit the period i want to model.

Just hope now i can produce a model as good as that :D

Simon.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”