Armstrong Whitworth?

merlinxlili

Armstrong Whitworth?

Postby merlinxlili » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:07 pm

Hello,
Does anyone know where the remains of the Armstrong Whitworth drawings archive (Scotswood) can be found? I am looking for a GA of steam locomotives built for the GS&WR in 1923. I have tried the NRM and Tyne & Wear Museums but without success.
Regards

scfcphil

Re: Armstrong Whitworth?

Postby scfcphil » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:42 am

According to the National register of archives (see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/ ... p?ID=B5893), the records are held by the Tyne and Wear Archive service. Is this where you've already tried? It appears that there are some drawings from the period 1930-38 held at Glasgow University but this is outside your period of interest.

Hope the NRA site leads you to the right place.

Phil

merlinxlili

Re: Armstrong Whitworth?

Postby merlinxlili » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:53 pm

Phil,
Thank you for your effort. Yes I have tried Tyne & Wear and the Glasgow items seems to be a collection assembled by one employee as opposed to company records. However I will ask Glasgow University anyway. Scotswood stopped locomotive production in 1937, a long time ago for drawings to be preserved. I read that the railway business was merged with Vickers to become Vickers Armstrongs, later finding its way into Metro Camel, the archive of which is with the HMRS! So I have a few more leads to follow.
Regards

Return to “Steam Locomotives”