Silver plating

John Bateson

Silver plating

Postby John Bateson » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:56 am

On many of my models there is a smokebox door handle which is supposed to be polished steel - that it until the LNER got their hands on them.
This is in the form of a wheel with a locking bar and the ones from Markits are very suitable but they are in brass. I am not too enamoured of silver paint for this sort of work.

Has anybody here used a silver plating solution to achieve this sort of shine and what would you recommend, please?
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

JFS

Re: Silver plating

Postby JFS » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:17 am

The short answer is "no" though I have done plenty in other metals. BUT, personally, I would not consider silver as it tarnishes as soon as look at it and is so soft it would polish away to nothing in no time with any kind of cleaning.

I hear what you say about silver paints - however, some of the modern metallic finishes are very good - better I would suggest than the quality of the casting you would be looking to coat.

JFS

Postby JFS » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:25 am

.... sorry pressed submits too soon ...

My personal approach would to see if they would be prepared to get a few cast in nickel silver for you. Failing, that, I would 3d print some in castable wax and have n/s castings from it. I can say that now I have just acquired a 3D Printer :-)

There are, of course, firms out there who will do that for you if you send them a 3d model.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:30 am

You can get a visible change in size during the casting process so care required here. Suggest you try the steel paint first polished with a stiff brush.

DaveB

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:53 am

https://uk.humbrol.com/products/no-27003-polished-steel-metalcote-tinlet-no-1-14ml-ac5025 which has been around for several years, and is described as being designed to be polished when fully dry. I normally use Humbrol paints, but have not used this particular one myself [not very relevant for BR...]
davebradwell wrote:Suggest you try the steel paint first polished with a stiff brush.

Or a soft cloth?
Regards
Noel

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:12 am

My approach would be to tin it using minimal amounts of either 144° solder (which flows well) or HMP silver-content solder (which also flows well). I would then polish it up and finally brush-apply an aluminium blackener on it, which shouldn't actually blacken it but would give it a "used" look.

David B

Postby David B » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:46 am

Have a look at AK True Metal. This is a thicker paint which is thinned with white spirit so a little goes a long way. I dip my brush in white spirit and mix it in on an old CD. The beauty of it is that it can be polished once dried though I have found you may need two or three coats to build it up first. I like the stuff and find it far more convincing than 'silver' or other metallic paint.

There are other metals in the range - iron, brass, copper, aluminium . . . . Scale Model Shop is not the only source. There are videos on YouTube on using it.

Thornbush

Postby Thornbush » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:59 am

Just to add to David B's reply, I also have used the AK range and can vouch for them being very good, especially the brass and copper. The steel is a bit too bright but I find that giving it a quick wash in thinned out enamel black tones it down to a convincing look.

jon price

Postby jon price » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:04 pm

AK metals are excellent. They are extensively used by people modelling US stainless steel stock. The guidance from AK is to use a gloss black undercoat, but if you experiment with various shades of matt grey you will come up with a metal finish to suit your own perception. The paint that starts of as a waxy paste is very good, but the liquid versions give better control as you just lay it down in thin coats until you reach the desired density, and there is no need for polishing. Here is a discussion with photos: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=22188.15
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Return to “Steam Locomotives”