Perseverance LSWR/SR/BR T9 kit - instructions

Jeremy Good

Perseverance LSWR/SR/BR T9 kit - instructions

Postby Jeremy Good » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:04 pm

I acquired this kit a year or so back and having begun to investigate building it I have found that it has no instructions.

Although I think I can work out what the majority of the parts are it would be useful to locate a set. Does anyone have a set of the instructions lurking somewhere that they could copy for me please? It is kit reference WK11.

Thank you.

Jeremy

steve howe

Re: Perseverance LSWR/SR/BR T9 kit - instructions

Postby steve howe » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:25 pm

Sorry I can't help with the instructions, but I'm interested to know what became of Perseverance. The recent tributes to Iain Rice and the fact I've just assembled two pairs of Percy's 'variflex' bogie compensation kits had me wondering if they were still around?

Steve

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:56 pm

Perseverance was owned by Rod Neep and he lived in Cheltenham where he ran his business. I made models for his business for a few years and then he told me he was going to buy a house on Shap but for some reason it fell through and he moved to Cinderford instead - big difference between Shap and Cinderford!

As far as I know he sold Perseverance to Puffers (I seem to remember it was Puffers but it was a long time ago so I could be wrong) and if you Google Rod Neep there is someone of that name who lives in Cinderford who makes hand crafted pens and shaving brushes and I suspect that is the same man. I seem to remember him giving up railway modelling but I don't know who bought the Perserverance name or what happened to his drawings. He introduced me to etch drawing in the early days of CAD and he bought a 286 computer especially to use a CAD package - shows how long ago that was!

Ralph

Edited to correct typo.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:11 pm

Chris Parrish of Puffers did take over Perseverance, I think possibly after he moved to Yorkshire. Following Chris's death the stock, etc. remained with his wife but has now passed into the hands of another kit producer, who is trying to sort it all out.

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:10 pm

I have a couple of chassis kits, still unbuilt, with design credited to Rod Neep but in Puffers packaging, with the Kenton Road, Harrow address on it. No idea on purchase dates, but possibly early- to mid-1970s.
Regards
Noel

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:58 am

The first compensated loco I ever built was a J72 from Perseverance. it runs nicely even after about 30 years (:shock: was I that young when I built it!) one of the nice things that was lost due to the lose of Mainly trains and Perseverance was the supply of a lovely J72 Chimney. I think I managed to get the last one from Mainly trains. I have fitted it to a loco.... but I cant remember which one!

I do hope some one can bring back the ranges but I do understand that the market for things has changed and Kits and bits really have diminished from all those years ago as RTR has improved leaps and bounds since then.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Paul Cram

Postby Paul Cram » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:51 pm

DougN wrote:The first compensated loco I ever built was a J72 from Perseverance. it runs nicely even after about 30 years (:shock: was I that young when I built it!) one of the nice things that was lost due to the lose of Mainly trains and Perseverance was the supply of a lovely J72 Chimney. I think I managed to get the last one from Mainly trains. I have fitted it to a loco.... but I cant remember which one!

I do hope some one can bring back the ranges but I do understand that the market for things has changed and Kits and bits really have diminished from all those years ago as RTR has improved leaps and bounds since then.

So was mine. Portescap motor and now DCC fitted.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:09 am

I have built several Perseverance loco chassis and found them Ok for their day, beam compensated drivers etc.
I do however express the view that the bogie was over engineered and didn't work well.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”