lamp irons etc

steve howe

lamp irons etc

Postby steve howe » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:17 pm

Just embarking on fitting lamp irons and fireiron brackets to three panniers, can anyone advise the correct size of NS strip to use and who now might stock it?

Thanks

Steve

David B

Re: lamp irons etc

Postby David B » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:37 pm

I find the Masokit lamp iron frets (brass) serve very well.

If going from scratch, I think the narrowest NS strip is about 1mm. You could try making your own. Take some wire, try 0.3 first, and squeeze it flat with pliers, putting the wire as near to the hinge as you can, so making your own, albeit thinner, strip. Thicker wire and a little less pressure should give you a thicker strip.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:49 pm

I've never got on with the squeezing method - my fault, not the method's. Instead, I solder a piece of wire (any thickness) to a piece of PCB and file the wire flat on the top, exposed side. Unsolder, flip the wire over, repeat. You can make strip any width you want in a few minutes. Don't try to do too long a piece - 6cm or so is about the limit. Check with a Vernier that the wire is consistent thickness - you can choose this; I usually go for 0.3mm. Any solder residue on the strip can be cleaned off with a file etc, but will probably disappear when the strip is soldered to the model.

Another method is to do this without soldering, by drawing a file along the piece of wire which is bent at one end to stop it rolling over when filed, but I've never got on with that method.

You can also shape the wire before flattening it (perhaps just on one side - say to do cab beading or a rain strip).

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:49 pm

Would these help?
They are 0.15 mm brass and are 0.7 mm wide - cut and fold to suit.
Boiler Bands.jpg

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:01 pm

Steve
For Great Western loco lamp irons the easiest way to make them is to get the small etch that Brassmasters sell.
It was drawn by Martin Finley and contains both the simple lamp irons for the front platform and the L shaped etches for the bunker rear.
Ian

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:36 pm

Whats wrong with filing them up from scrap etch?

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:34 pm

Nothing wrong with filing them from scrap etch.
For the lamp irons on the rear of the bunker you need to start out with an L shape, and there are two bends to make. Dimensions are in the articles/ books by Guy Williams.
Ian

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:27 am

Will L wrote:Whats wrong with filing them up from scrap etch?

Just a quick reminder as to where it is I come from on this.
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=2932&start=50#p74446
But these are GER lamp irons as I know nuffing about the GWR.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”