Jubilee mishap.

Dave Holt

Jubilee mishap.

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:35 pm

Today, I was preparing a stock box for my re-built Royal Scot, in anticipation of the forthcoming Scaleforum. To remind me how the internal padding was arranged, I took my Jubilee out as an example. Having completed the internals for the new box, I was putting the Jubilee, in its box, back into the storage cupboard where it normally resides.
it seems I hadn't gripped the box properly and the end lid clip came undone, causing me to lose grip entirely and it turned upside down causing the loco to fall about a foot onto the wooden cupboard frame, landing awkwardly in a sort of Humpty-Dumpty moment. All the kings horses and men rushed to the rescue but it'll be me who has to put Humpty together again. :(
Unfortunately, quite a bit of damage, both structural and cosmetic has resulted, but I expect it can be rectified to an acceptable degree although not helped by my losing one of the cab doors, which had become detached in the impact.
More care needed in future when handling this type of box.
Dave.

Horsetan

Re: Jubilee mishap.

Postby Horsetan » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:58 pm

What are the damaged bits?
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:50 am

Ouch! Sorry to read this, and hope that it will be possible to repair in due course.

Am looking forward to seeing the Scot at Scaleforum next weekend.

Ian

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:24 pm

Fortunately, as the model landed almost upside down, there doesn't appear to be any damage to the working parts.The fall resulted in the loco and tender being kinked upwards and twisted by about 45 degrees relative to each other. This ripped off one of tender mounted the cab doors and also separated the captive nut (actually a threaded steel bush) for the tender end of the drawbar, making separation of loco and tender extremely difficult. However, they are now separated and both loco and tender disassembled into their major components. Fortunately, as the model landed almost upside down, there doesn't appear to be any damage to the working parts.

Damage identified so far is:
Loco:- Front buffer beam bent inwards at one end and bulged out near the middle, causing the buffer on that side to droop and be splayed outwards. Scrapes and marking to the paint/weathering on the top of the boiler, top feed and dome. Top corner of the LH rear cab-side turn-in bent over more than 90 degrees and paint removed to bare metal. Drawbar bent into an "S" shape and twisted through about 45 degrees. Boiler backhead detached by the shock impact.
Tender:- RH electrical connection to loco snapped off, LH sprung intermediate buffer snapped off, RH cab door ripped off and fixing bracket broken at one end, clinker shovel detached from rear of tank top. Paint loss to bare metal near RH end of front drag box.

Rectification has been carried out on the loco front buffer beam, draw bar, intermediate sprung buffer, drawbar retaining bush and electrical connection. The backhead is loose but captive inside the cab and the dislodged fire iron has been recovered. The cab turn-in has been straightened.

The main outstanding issue is the cab door. Initially, this was lying inside the cab but, unfortunately, during handling and trying to separate loco and tender it must have flirted out and cannot be found despite a thorough search by both myself and my partner, Paula. It must be somewhere in my modelling room but is proving elusive. I'll have to arrange for a replacement to be etched and I have already prepared a sketch of the required item.

I'll bring it to Scaleforum in its current state.

Dave.

Postby 45609 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:42 pm

Hi Dave, so sorry to hear about this. It is gut churning when it happens so I hope it can be repaired. What do the cab doors look like? I might have something suitable. I’ll bring it along next Saturday.

Cheers…Morgan

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:37 pm

Hi Morgan.
The door is for a Brassmasters Fowler 3500g tender. It's basically a rectangle, 10.67 mm high x 6 mm wide, with half etched hinge and beading on the outside and two straps about 1.25 mm wide and 8 mm long protruding from one long edge, roughly 1.25 mm in from the top and bottom edges. There's also a mounting bracket which is a 1 mm wide strip with eyes at each end which are folded to 90 degrees.
Dave.

Postby 45609 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:31 pm

Ok Dave. What I have is a pair of doors from a Brassmasters Crab detailing etch. They are the same height as you’ve mentioned and also have the half etched beading/hinges. Where they might differ is in the width and mounting arrangement.

ACD9CAC8-61D5-4AC1-9978-4CFC6FF0BAE6.jpeg

The yellow circled bits are the doors that go on the tender. You can see an assembled pair at the bottom of the photo. The parts circled in orange go on the loco cab.

I’ll bring them along and you can decide for yourself if they are suitable.

Morgan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:42 pm

Progress is being made with rectification work on the Jubilee. most of the bent parts mentioned previously have been straightened and a new whistle fitted. Almost unbelievably, the loco suffered further damage, including severe distortion of the front LH corner of the cab at spectacle/window level, when I knocked it off a shelf whilst trying to sort out an electrical issue with the boiler removed. The footplate and cab took the full impact. I've straightened it out as best I can and hopefully, paint of weathering will disguise the remaining imperfections.

Here's the loco at present showing some of the visible damage. The cylinder/valvegear unit is temporarily removed but received no damage as far as I can tell.

Overall view. loco and tender not coupled.
Jub_020.JPG

A close up of the damaged part of the cab. The spectacle plate and cab side window came out and I had to remove the backhead to get to the inside of the cab to push out the dents.
Jub_021.JPG

The replacement cab/tender doors have been produced (by Rumney Models) and the hinges have been formed on the two doors. Also shown is on of the original doors that got ripped off in the first fall. (Sorry about the slight out of focus).
Jub_019.JPG

Onwards and, hopefully, upwards.

Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:44 pm

The cab/tender doors have been assembled and temporarily fitted to the tender. They can be removed for painting by withdrawing the hinge pin. This latter will eventually be fixed by tack soldering the "tail" to the mounting bracket, leaving the doors free to swing as the loco traverses curves, constrained by the forward extension near the bottom of the doors.

Usually, 3500 gallon LMS tenders had a half width door and the loco had the other half, as in Crab locos, for instance. However, those attached to Jubilees had full width, articulated doors attached to the tender. This odd arrangement was the reason that kind offers of spare Fowler tender doors couldn't be taken up and the need for a custom etch.

Also the clinker shovel, which came off in the initial drop, has been re-attached.
Jub_022.JPG

Just the painting of the doors and some touching up of local paint damage and the tender will be ready to go.

Dave.

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:31 pm

Glad you have been able to fix the Jubilee. I think many of us have done something similar at some time or another. I dropped my Finney large Prairie many years ago. Martin kindly let me have some spare etches for a replacement chassis but when I stripped down the old one I found it was repairable. The replacement chassis ended up under an Airfix body. Thanks Martin.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”