Great Central Models Website

John Bateson

Great Central Models Website

Postby John Bateson » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:41 am

As part of a necessary money saving project I have cancelled the renewal for my web site. There has been very little traffic recently anyway.

Unfortunately, the site has been deleted now, whereas I had wanted simply to stop the automatic renewal in November, so that was a bit of a mis-communication with the owners of the package, "123-Reg".

Access to the current set of instruction manuals is now no longer available except through a PM to me since I have retained the originals on the Microsoft Cloud and in local backups. These can be supplied by a PDF file if needed.

Projections for completion of newer designs has also disappeared but I need to do a major review of what can be done in the next couple of years.

I retain ownership of the site "greatcentralmodels.co.uk" and "greatcentralmodels.uk".

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

petermeyer

Re: Great Central Models Website

Postby petermeyer » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:01 am

John

Could the Society not host these pages the way they do for London Road Models?

Peter

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:14 pm

petermeyer wrote:Could the Society not host these pages the way they do for London Road Models?

That can probably be done. All you need to do is ask.

Terry Bendall

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:05 pm

I suspect that I had not made myself entirely clear in my original post.

When I said the website had been deleted, I meant it has gone, this is now an ex-website, beyond recovery. Including backups. :?

It was my intention not to renew in November, giving me time to do exports and backups etc. However, this has been interpreted by the hosting company as an immediate kill instruction. Things happen - Forest Gump had a version of that statement.

There was very little useful there except as a repository for the instruction manuals which I have safely in my cloud, with a project build schedule for later models. Building the site was a useful exercise but a very definite brain teaser in understanding how modern web sites are done. I believe there is very little point in asking the hosting company to resurrect it from their backups since in moving it elsewhere I would have to pay the renewal anyway. Such moves cannot be done overnight and given the Society's work on the bright shiny new Society Website it would be unfair to ask the team to add this workload to what is already a complex issue in such a short time.

In the meantime I am trying (struggling) to get some GC decals done. Having seen the cost of doing it commercially I am attempting to do it on the cheap. So far the software is winning. Comparatively speaking, Notts Forest going 6-0 down recently is about the current score :(

John

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:41 am

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:31 am

Bill,
Thanks for the pointer, I have used this sort of facility before for other work. :thumb

This is a very old version of the web site and does not reflect the many design changes I made using the 123 Reg WebBuilder software. In fact it seems to be the first site of three I have had.

I have not been able to work out how to get a recent version but this would not be a priority for me at the moment since I am planning a major revision of my hobby efforts, (and trying to save some money as well), but thanks again.

John

Return to “Steam Locomotives”