LRM/ Steven Barnfield LNER G6

Mark Tatlow

Re: LRM/ Steven Barnfield LNER G6

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:25 pm

Hi Doug

To assist, here is my external blog for both the first and second auto-coaches I built:

https://highlandmiscellany.com/2022/01/ ... uto-coach/
https://highlandmiscellany.com/2021/03/ ... paintshop/
https://highlandmiscellany.com/2019/01/ ... paintshop/
https://highlandmiscellany.com/2019/01/ ... paintshop/
https://highlandmiscellany.com/2018/04/ ... ht-bogies/

I think the Langley kit is "a scratchbuilder's aid" as it only really includes the sides and basic underframe. You will need to source all of the details including castings and bogies plus sort the roof out. You'll be busy for a while in other words!

David has already pointed you towards our discussions on these in the forum; well worth a read as he knows a lot more about them than me - although I am catching up with another four NER clerestories on the bench at the moment!

Mark
Mark Tatlow

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:05 pm

I've just had a look at my abandoned Langley one, which I only worked on briefly until I got hold of a D&S one. It does have castings for the roof and underframe (gas tanks, queen posts, buffers). It seems I'd had some problems with it before I abandoned it. The sides, I suspect, were originally in one piece with the floor, which made forming the turnunder difficult to impossible without bending the floor at the same time. So I'd separated the sides off from the floor. It looks like (and I seem to remember) the brass was very hard, and the turnunder wouldn't yield - neither to my usual methods nor swearwords.

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:27 pm

I spent all of 10minutes looking at the kit last night. Then embarrassingly went to compare it to another coach for length only to find I already have a D&S which is part constructed... These locos did run with 2 alot of the time didn't they? :shock: :D :D . While bouncing around the internet yesterday I did notice there is a preserved one, https://electricautocar.co.uk/home/autocoach/ which is nice to see.

I have separated the ends from the side, the instructions suggest that might be easier! I will look at the turn under on the sides as I use a10mm diameter, 360 long steel bar to form curves like this. If I dont achieve the turn under I will cut them off for a more conventional build.

The castings looked quite nice actually. I will go over the blog and discussion again when I start the build!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:04 pm

DougN wrote:These locos did run with 2 alot of the time didn't they?

One, two or four are the combinations i have seen.

While bouncing around the internet yesterday I did notice there is a preserved one, https://electricautocar.co.uk/home/autocoach/ which is nice to see.

Actually this is something quite different being a self contained petrol (originally, now diesel) driven railcar.
Mark Tatlow

charliemiller77

Postby charliemiller77 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:42 pm

Following that link they seem to have a clerestory auto coach to pair up with the petrol electric. Should make an interesting train.
The photos of the auto coach show very good end detail for example the stepped thickness of the roof profile , the handrails along the edge of the clerestory and the wood moulded circle around the brass porthole. What is missing of course are the controls linking the coach to its loco, but hard to see in the shadow.

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:25 am

Well I had a nice time over the weekend doing a lot of modelling (it was Fathers day yesterday here in Aus) The body for the G6 was complete by 5.30 last night... I had even given it a wash with "Barkeepers friend" I was seriously impressed with its reaction and cleaning ability. the loco sat for a bit on the return air duct to dry off. Then a blast with Etch primer, again warmed can by sitting on the heating duct. Then late last night a spray with Semi gloss black from Tamiya! Looks like a pretty good coverage and drying when I had a quick look before heading off to work.

The Chassis will be painted using the Iain Rice method of under power, Not my preferred method but as this is compensated with captive axle I don't have much option. I do need to get onto the pickups, which I have thought about, the front powered axle will have scrapers on to the front. The rear driven axles pickups will be worked off a mid chassis spacer. But I need to make this low profile as this may appear in the loco profile. I do work pretty hard to hid the pick ups.

Any how I know I need to do more photos!
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:47 am

I spent a fair bit of time resolving the gear box. Some how the gears were bottoming out and therefore wouldn't run requiring a full strip down and open up the holes to allow the motor to be lifted slightly to allow the work enough space to work! Why this happened I have no idea.. I had tested it before... Grr. :x

The motor worked in the end. Next challenge will be to refix the final drive with Locktite 601 I needed to degrease everything as it would not lock for the second time. Which ended up being good as from the photo below the chassis and body are painted.
G6 photo.jpg

Unable to be seen is a back head I had created and has been installed - I know it is there so I am happy... not that you can ever see it!

There is a bit of list of things to complete on it, paint the inside of the chassis red and the obvious , install some glazing to the cab, install a crew, then coal the bunker. I still need to decide what to do about couplings! I have the 2 coaches that go with this loco too... both need to be completed. But I want the loco completed first!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:36 pm

Ok I missed a day or 2's progress... well the locktite worked but the motor wouldn't run again :x . So last night pulled it out and looked at changing the motor and gearbox... yeah /nah the new one didn't fit very well. So other than being ready to throw the entire thing in the bin and take up flower arranging... I left it last night. Tonight I sat down thinking one last going over. I pulled the gearbox apart. Opened out the bearings. Re fixed the motor at the higher point... I then test ran it! Ok This had worked this time I have put it back in the chassis... and turned in... hoping the wheels will quarter up alright as I don't want to change any of the settings of the gearbox.. so I will have to do the quartering whilst under power. It looks pretty good so far though the painting will need to be touched up as it's been belted in a number of areas.

Hopefully I can have it test running at the meeting on Saturday!
Doug

Return to “Steam Locomotives”