GWR Saint Class 'Lady of Quality'

essdee

GWR Saint Class 'Lady of Quality'

Postby essdee » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:13 pm

'evening all,
Does anyone else recall an article in the Modeller/Constructor/MR News, about creating this loco, probably based on the old Tri-ang 'Hall' Class model of 1966 vintage. Likely period for article is 1966-1972?

Not to be confused with Tony East's build of 'St.Dunstan', written up in May 1968 RM.

Possibly Denis Allenden, operating out of his customary scale and French subjects?

Ayethangyew,

Steve

bécasse

Re: GWR Saint Class 'Lady of Quality'

Postby bécasse » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:07 pm

There was an article by Peter Booth in the January 1967 issue of Railway Modeller in which there are references to his model of "Lady of Quality" but I suspect that it isn't the article you are remembering. Otherwise a search of the online-archive of the Railway Modeller threw up nothing so it is probably in one of the other magazines.

essdee

Postby essdee » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:28 pm

Dave, thanks for this - but is there not a typo in the RM reference in your reply?

I have the Jan 1967 RM issue in front of me now - and no mention of Peter Booth or LoQ. However, there is a review of the Triang 'Hall' Class!

I think you are onto something with the PB reference, however. Many thanks,

Steve

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:58 am

Apologies, misread my own notes - January 1987, Building Model Locomotives.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:06 am

Hello playmate! ;)

MRC March 1967 is what you're seeking. Chris Leigh's adaptation of a Triang Hornby Hall. I remembered the article at once, but thought it probable it was a Constructor I had discarded after gutting it for plans or other items of interest. Fortunately I'd retained the whole magazine as it included Part 3 of the MRSG's series on Protofour.

Let me know if you'd like me to send you a scan.

essdee

Postby essdee » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:44 am

Dave - aha, OK thanks!

But John has certainly nailed it for me - that was the one. An odd purchase of MRC a year or so before I subscribed, and even had kept the LoQ article for possible customer uses. After retiring in 2019, I eventually binned all my non-SDJR out-takes only a year ago!

John - many thanks, and yes please to a scan..

Thanks for taking the time, gents.

Steve

Return to “Steam Locomotives”