Adams Radial Tank

steve howe

Adams Radial Tank

Postby steve howe » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:28 pm

Does anyone have any opinions/views between the Hornby Adams Radial ex LSWR tank and the Oxford Models version? I'm interested in the conversion to P4 with a view to adding one to the Watermouth stock list.

Steve

Philip Hall

Re: Adams Radial Tank

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:03 am

I would prefer the Hornby one simply because the Oxford model has a big lump of metal where there should be daylight under the boiler. Unfortunately I haven’t converted either of them. I guess the Hornby one would be my bet because of familiarity with their designs and the daylight business.

Philip

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:40 pm

Thanks Phil, I can't see a conversion set on Alan Gibson's list, I suspect the Hornby axles are not 1/8" which might be a stumbling block even if the correct size wheels were available.

Steve

Robin Gay

Postby Robin Gay » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:21 pm

Hi a couple of years ago l converted the Oxford Radial to P4. My first ever conversion, all my other locos are kits or scratch built.
The reason l chose the Oxford one was becouse they done a version in the EKR livery.
A friend of mine pointed out that the EM society had done a conversion instruction sheet on the Oxford and so l just bought up all the components recommended in their article exept for P4 instead of EM wheels. And used there instructions as a guide, It was quite easy to convert.

When l first bought the loco in 00 form, it was extremely slow and overloaded my controller. When l stripped the chassis the gearbox was packed with a very sticky grease this had posibly thickened whilst it was in stock.
I washed it all out with white spirit put a bit of light oil on it and it runs like a dream. I have added a bit of weight to get more traction over the driving wheels and it's a power loco now and performs well on Rolvenden.

If you want more details l can possibly copy the EM conversion instructions for you let me know.
No body notices the black where it should be light under the boiler.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”