A 'tiny' bit of work

John Bateson

Re: A 'tiny' bit of work

Postby John Bateson » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:49 am

And just to establish that I am still breathing, an update on the catching up plan.
Some readers will know that I like doing things in batches, and the GCR Class 11B is one of them. Progress on the last two is getting near to the stage where a test undercoat will reveal all the sins in the assembly.
The smokeboxes are different to the original design. In GC times there was a steel rim around the main door which when polished would have highlighted the front. That is, until the LNER, in their wisdom, took a big paint brush over the lot!
The lathe turned door is 16.8 mm and the etched NiSi rim is 18.2 mm, leaving a small, but very visible and shiny edge to the door.

When painting, the hinge and supporting bracket should be shiny steel (I think) so this is painted with Vallejo Liquid Mask. First a coat of Upol-8 after ensuring it really has stopped raining. First time I sprayed, there must have been some very tiny drop through the spray mist which messed (being polite here) some of them up leaving bumps on the surface. A day later, after some judicious use of 1200 wet & dry, I managed to get them done again but in the meantime while I was waiting I dug out the Qty 7 Class 8A smoke box doors and gave them the same treatment.

20230324_103441.jpg

The attached picture shows several aspects of this rather convoluted process. Top left is the NiSi rim, through which the stub of the door fits, then into the smoke box itself. I have yet to add the final matt black to the set of 8A doors.The Liquid Mask can be carefully removed with a toothpick and finally the Markit door locks added with a dab of superglue. All the doors will be added to the body as the very last things to be assembled, which makes painting of the area around the smoke box somewhat easier and gives some space to assemble the semi-circular handrail and its handrail knob. :x
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Return to “Steam Locomotives”