NuCast Armstrong Standard Goods conversion?

jon price

NuCast Armstrong Standard Goods conversion?

Postby jon price » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:27 pm

Has anyone ever converted the NuCast Armstrong Standard Goods (388 Class) to P4? Anything to report?
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

petermeyer

Re: NuCast Armstrong Standard Goods conversion?

Postby petermeyer » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:39 pm

I have a Jidenco 388 in the works at the mo. Stalled whilst I build the upper springs. I don’t recall anything out of the ordinary when building in P4 an old kit designed to be compatible with OO.

I would presume you will have to move the splashers out.

jon price

Postby jon price » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:01 pm

Yes.Moving the splashers might be easy (if they are seperate items) or impossible (if they are cast on the footplate) as this is a whitemetal kit. Anyone know?

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:45 am

jon price wrote:Yes.Moving the splashers might be easy (if they are seperate items) or impossible (if they are cast on the footplate) as this is a whitemetal kit. Anyone know?

Is this an old kit or a re-release? For old whitemetal kits with a flat footplate I have replaced this with brass. I’ve cut the whitemetal splashers out and fettled these to fit and soldered on. The same concept applies to the outside frames. This way you can check for clearance as you go as long as you’ve made the chassis first.

If it is the newly released kit one would assume the chassis is P4 friendly. Crucial clearances are between the outside cranks and frames as well as the usual culprits; splashers etc.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:19 pm

I had one of these kits when they were sold by K's with the blister packing on a cardboard sheet which did the flat castings no good at all! Sold it on Ebay when I was having a clear-out where it went for silly money. Always regretted it as the Armstrong Goods is one of my favourite engines. I think the splashers were cast on the footplate, tricky, but not impossible to resolve, I did it with the K's 57xx years ago and made new splashers from brass. If Nu-Cast have re-released the Armstrong I might be tempted again... I'd be interested to know how you get on Jon.

Steve

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:36 pm

jon price

Postby jon price » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:11 pm

Steve I haven't got one of these, but I'm quite tempted by the nu-cast re-issue.Wanted to see if anyone had experience of them before taking on a project and finding too many issues.

Jon

Return to “Steam Locomotives”