RT Models 100Hp Sentinel 0-4-0VBT

barhamd

RT Models 100Hp Sentinel 0-4-0VBT

Postby barhamd » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:16 pm

My clever wife purchased one of these kits for me as a Christmas present and I have rather enjoyed putting it together over the last couple of weeks. The kit seems excellent value for money to me as it includes a High Level gearbox and motor in the price. The etches fit together well though some of the overlays are pretty small. I was tripped over by the instructions a few times as it wasn't necessarily clear which order pieces should be assembled in and how they related to each other. There were a couple of times when I had to take bits apart to then reassemble them in the right order. I managed to get all the bits of nickel-silver attached with a conventional 25watt iron. A length of desoldering braid came in handy in the tidying up.

I've now got the point where the etches are assembled and I need to move on to the castings.

aIMG_8838.jpg

aIMG_8837.jpg

The chassis runs quite smoothly and I have plenty of room for a DCC chip, stay-alive capacity and weight.

This little loco isn't really suitable for my Stour Valley layout, it might lurk in the mill siding occasionally, the plan really is that it will operate on a small 'Enigma Engineering' style layout when I get around to building it.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nberrington

Re: RT Models 100Hp Sentinel 0-4-0VBT

Postby nberrington » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:20 pm

Just a fun build. It’s your railway, put her to work!

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:54 pm

Over the last week I've managed to get the white metal castings stuck on the Sentinel. The castings were reasonably good, the only one I've given up on is the whistle which didn't look really look like anything.

IMG_8842.JPG

IMG_8843.JPG

So I think the main question now is what colour I fancy, I'm open to suggestions but probably drawn the line at 'wasp stripes all over' or fully lined out!

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:41 pm

I have always thought light green ( like LSWR Adams green) is nice colour for an industrial engine. Or better still LSWR Goods green, lined in light green, edged in black. Maybe that's a step too far for your part of the world...

Phil;ip

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:07 am

That looks lovely David. If you can't find work for her to do send her over to me. LOL.

All Best

Dave

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:24 pm

I finally got around to cranking up the compressor and getting this little loco painted, as usual it took longer to mask than spray.
Underframe and roof were sprayed with Humbrol 33 with a dash of 67, bodywork sprayed was 101 and buffer beams brush painted with 60. Buffers are 27003.

It looks quite pretty in its 'preserved' paint job but it is going to get some weathering back to 'cared for but worked hard' when I pluck up courage.

aIMG_8849.jpg

aIMG_8847.jpg

The gab between the cab rear and the roof is just because I haven't put back the nut that holds the roof down yet. I think we need an industrial crew from Modelu now and some coal now.

David

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:29 am

barhamd wrote:I think we need an industrial crew from Modelu now and some coal now.

Just a driver for a Sentinel, remember, although perhaps a shunter, standing on the lowest step and hanging on to the cab handrail with one hand and his pole in the other, might be an interesting addition.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:09 pm

This little loco isn't really suitable for my Stour Valley layout, it might lurk in the mill siding occasionally, the plan really is that it will operate on a small 'Enigma Engineering' style layout when I get around to building it.

Ah, obviously a man of excellent taste :thumb

I've been tempted somewhat by one of these but it would have to go into the queue - which is already possibly a bit to long for my advancing years ;)
Very nice build, perfect for an Enigma clone.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”