Digest 41.9 and the Hornby Jinty Chassis

William A

Digest 41.9 and the Hornby Jinty Chassis

Postby William A » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:21 am

May I please ask what the 'Triang Adapter Bushes' are noted in this digest issue, which suggests how an old hornby Jinty chassis may be converted to something suitable to P4?

I have two locomotives kits both of which are originally specified to use the jinty chassis - no doubt compromised in wheelbase or diameter, but ultimately a usful starting point to get some usable motive power quickly for my layout:

[img]
https://i.imgur.com/dhYmvoi.png
[/img]

These are not listed in the stores - any ideas? I have a lathe so I'm happy to turn some up, or if they are for sale that might be more straight forward!

Philip Hall

Re: Digest 41.9 and the Hornby Jinty Chassis

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:52 am

In the good old days when Hornby were called Tri-ang axles were 9/64” so adapter bushes were produced by the trade to allow the use of 1/8” axles which were the standard then. I doubt they are available now.

Tri-ang chassis of that time had their X04 motor which was a fine piece of engineering, and this continued well into the Hornby era, but gradually this was superseded by cheaper ‘bought in’ alternatives, nowhere near as good. The X04 was, however, a three pole motor, with a 20:1 single start worm, so performance, whilst good, tended to be a bit lively!

Philip

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:19 pm

That digest is from July 1984!

Good luck with old technology chassis - I'm not even sure which incarnation of Jinty chassis that was at that time.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:36 pm

There must be a number of rather more modern Jinty chassis kits that will fit into the same hole. The Perseverance kit springs to mind though I don't know if that is still avaible. Wizard do something like, cheaper than buying an original chassis on Ebay too. I haven't even looked at Comet or London Road Models.

William A

Postby William A » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:32 pm

Thank you - HL with wheels and a gearbox looks like the thick end of £70 - but such is the price of finescle, I guess! Comet/Wizard is about £30 cheaper, but doesn't appear to be fold-up...

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:02 pm

The HighLevel chassis is designed to fit the Bachmann version of the Jinty which is more accurate than the Hornby. I can’t swear that it will fit the Hornby body without fettling or worse. The Comet/Wizard edition will fit the Hornby no problem. A HighLevel gearbox is still a good investment for smooth running.

HTH,

David

RAO

Postby RAO » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:10 pm

Having built a Highlevel Jinty chassis only this past year, I can say what a joy it was to build.
On the other hand I started a Comet chassis for a Ivatt 2mt 2-6-2T and it wasn't long before I put it all back into a box for another day.
You get what you pay for. Saving a few bob at the start of a model, when you consider the hours we all spend in building these models, i believe is false economy.
Best of luck with your choice.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:44 pm

ISTR that Bill Bedford did a Jinty frame at one time maybe ten years back? It might be worth asking about to see if one is available second hand. I built his J72 frame and it worked well.

Cheers,

David

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:52 pm

Is this the Bachman 3F? It wasn't mine, I was asked to investigate poor running, bit of work on the wheels it was a very good runner.

As far as I remember, it had Gibson wheels in the original chassis.

If I wanted a quick conversion, I think the Bachman Jinty is quite easy. I've converted a few panniers by just changing their wheels.
2015 Progress (1).JPG

2015 Progress (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:21 pm

HL with wheels and a gearbox looks like the thick end of £70

Does the HL kit include a gearbox. My Dean Goods one did.

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:53 pm

David Knight wrote:ISTR that Bill Bedford did a Jinty frame at one time maybe ten years back? It might be worth asking about to see if one is available second hand. I built his J72 frame and it worked well.

Cheers,

David

I have two brand new, pt. no. LFF1001/4 in stock. Will happily trade them both for one High Level version.

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Return to “Steam Locomotives”