GWR top feeds

steve howe

GWR top feeds

Postby steve howe » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:52 pm

I am completing my 'Barnum' after a protracted build, and while fitting the top feed casting I am musing as to what happens to the feed pipes where they meet under the boiler. I am guessing some sort of T fitting with a pipe running back under the boiler towards the cab.
stafford_road_shed_1932.jpg

This may or may not be visible on the model, but as I've gone to the trouble of fitting inside motion, it would be nice to get the correct arrangement.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim V

Re: GWR top feeds

Postby Tim V » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:36 pm

Extremely unlikely.

If you look where a pannier top feed pipes go - they go to the top of the injectors.

Look for where the injectors are on the Barnum - that is where the pipes aim for.

Injectors on Caerphilly Castle for reference.

castle1.JPG

(edited to include picture)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

davebradwell

Re: GWR top feeds

Postby davebradwell » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:28 pm

Isn't there something dangling underneath about in-line with the front step? Could well be one of your feed pipes curving round as the ends point in the right directions. It will probably go under the ashpan as there aren't many other ways for it to get to the back of the engine past the firebox. The 2 pipes would never join - I'll now duck!

There's a straight horizontal pipe down there too, with clip - have you got that one? I'd guess it's the vac train pipe but would expect it to be on the other side with the ejector. Could it be train heat? Interesting pipe along the outside frame which might be but it looks a bit thin.

Could form the basis for a Christmas quiz!

DaveB

Return to “Steam Locomotives”