Converting Hornby/Bachmann locomotives to P4. Any problems with clearances?

Warehouseworker

Converting Hornby/Bachmann locomotives to P4. Any problems with clearances?

Postby Warehouseworker » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:05 pm

Hello,

Has anyone had any problems with clearances when converting Hornby/Bachmann locomotives to P4? I have several loco that need rewheeling from OO to P4, an M7, S15 , Lord Nelson, Schools, T9, Maunsell Mogul, 700 class 0-6-0. In particular I was wondering if loco's with outside cylinders and valve gear had problems that I need to know about before I start?
Thanks in advance.

Philip Hall

Re: Converting Hornby/Bachmann locomotives to P4. Any problems with clearances?

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:15 pm

This is a simple question which could require an answer that runs into many pages! Much has been covered on this forum in the past, some of it written by me, so could I just say that all conversions are possible. There are almost always problems with clearances, but generally nothing that cannot eventually be overcome. Outside valve gear is not generally a problem, I’ve done a couple of King Arthurs so the S15 should be about the same except that the crosshead and slidebars are more scale width than on the Arthur. Leaving coupling and connecting rods thin helps as well.

From your list, I have converted many M7s, a Schools or two, many T9s (one of the awkward squad), Maunsell moguls and I have a 700 in shops. On that one, because the cab and rear splashers are diecast, I have resorted to thinning the rear drivers down to 1.85mm. Even the new Hornby Terrier has clearance problems, which you would not expect, but I am helping that along by again reducing the width of the drivers.

If you put my name into the search engine for MRJ, you should find a number of articles relating to conversions, including M7s and T9s. Alternatively, trawling through the locomotive topics on the forum should bring up much information. There are lots of us on here who have done these things so there will be help.

The best way Is to start with a fairly simple engine and you will get a feel for how the manufacturer works. Even within the same model, there can be constructional differences as the items can come from different factories. Finally, if you get really stuck send a PM and I’ll try and help.

Philip

Warehouseworker

Re: Converting Hornby/Bachmann locomotives to P4. Any problems with clearances?

Postby Warehouseworker » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 pm

Hello Philip,
Thank you for your reply. It has been very helpful

Return to “Steam Locomotives”