Dapol GWR 43xx Mogul

steve howe

Dapol GWR 43xx Mogul

Postby steve howe » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:28 pm

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of the new Dapol GWR Mogul, specifically with a view to conversion to P4? I have held off with my old Mainline one, sitting in its box for years, because I was told the body was inaccurate, particularly in respect of the firebox dimensions, compromised to accommodate the motor, and have just caught up with the Dapol release:
https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=495

I also see that Bachmann released one :? anyone know much of its provenance?

Steve

Jeremy Good

Re: Dapol GWR 43xx Mogul

Postby Jeremy Good » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:25 pm

Steve

I haven’t seen this in the flesh but it seems to have been reasonably well received.

Dapol seem to have a policy of offering spares as soon as the model becomes available. DCC Supplies are the main suppliers and it would be worth looking at their website which when I last looked had several different loco and tender bodies available as spares - cheaper than buying the whole thing and discarding the chassis.

Also Brassmasters are developing an EasiChas for the loco which may be an option if you decide to buy the whole loco.

Jeremy

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:37 am

Thanks for that Jeremy, interesting to see Brassmasters are developing an easichas, which would be probably a more straightforward option than a kitbuilt one.

Most of the reviews I've read seem positive as to the smooth running qualities of the chassis, so here's hoping!

Steve

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:37 pm

Thanks for the link, Jeremy, but having seen the Dapol body shell is £40 I'm going to continue with my old Mainline one, with a Peresverance chassis and Ultrascale wheels. Yes, the Mainline firebox is a bit portly, but I can live with it if I can't easily alter it. £20 for a tender is not unreasonable though. I just have the bits in stock so not enough reason to spend more money.

I have seen reports of a very high gear ratio in the Dapol model, although if it runs well that's not a problem, but the slidebars are pretty awful, so it is to be hoped that Brassmasters do something about those.

Philip

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:53 pm

Philip Hall wrote:I have seen reports of a very high gear ratio in the Dapol model, although if it runs well that's not a problem, but the slidebars are pretty awful, so it is to be hoped that Brassmasters do something about those.

Yes, from their blog:
In the first week of January there are a number of test etches going off to our supplier. These are for the Hornby Prairie EasiChas, replacement slidebars, crossheads and connecting rods for the Dapol Mogul, and...

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/blog.htm#21-02-21

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/dapol_43xx.htm

Return to “Steam Locomotives”