Martin Finney 28xx - new project

johndarch

Martin Finney 28xx - new project

Postby johndarch » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:42 pm

Having finished the 4575, I have now started work on my next project. It was pointed out to me that my chosen prototype 2822, ran with one of the less common GWR 3500 gallon tenders in the period being modelled, notably a Churchward design with scalloped frames. Rising to the challenge I have started the conversion. Fortunately, the frames in the kit are spot on dimensionally so just need bits adding on. These were cut out from scrap from the frames etch which fortuitously were exactly the correct width. They were cut out as trapezoids with the curve being filed out after they were soldered in place.

The tender also had different brake hangers and springs but I was able to find the correct ones in my spares box.

The photo below shows one modified and one original frame.

01 frames.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

johndarch

Re: Martin Finney 28xx - new project

Postby johndarch » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:10 pm

I hope this doesn't appear twice as I thought I has submitted a reply earlier. The body of the tender for 2822 is now finished bar the lamp irons and I will now be moving on to finish the chassis; brake gear, plumbing, axle boxes, buffers, etc. The tender has been built generally as the instructions with a compensated chassis. I did, however, solder the buffer beams to the chassis rather than to the body. The loco itself will be sprung using CSB's.

Tender 05.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JFS

Postby JFS » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 pm

Looking nice John - that joint between the bottom of fender and top of the flare can be difficult to get looking straight - well done!

If I were building my 28xx again I might give thought to springing the (front) tender buffers. My loco is 'arranged' to cope with 900mm curves but on anything less, the tender buffers have a tendency to touch the drag beam and fetch the (fixed) rear tender axle off.

I used the "American" split axle system for my pick-ups, so my drawbar is plasic and I could make it long enough to accomodate 900mm curves, but at that length, there is a noticable gap from the buffers to the drag beam in a side-on view - even though it does not look excessive from above.

Looking forward to the loco!

Best Wishes,

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi Howard. I am also going to be using the American system but with shorting strips on wheels rather than split axles. I will be using a plastic sleeve over the bolt and plastic washers on the tender end of the drawbar. I used this system on a Dean Goods that I built many years ago and it has never given any problems. If the tender buffers touch the drag beam on the loco there will be a short. I think I may have left them off on the Dean. This time around I am thinking of applying 5 thou styrene pads to the drag beam. I won't be springing the buffers but if they do become a problem I can always adopt a philistine approach and file them down a bit as they are only white metal. I am also lead to believe that I have to be wary of pony truck wheels on the loco making contact with the cylinders. I don't think I will have a problem but I will be checking it as it is built.

JFS

Postby JFS » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:39 pm

johndarch wrote:... with shorting strips on wheels rather than split axles.

Indeed - exactly what I did. I found that a smear of Araldite can cure a wooden leg when it comes to mysterious shorts hich - it has to be conceded - are a bit of a hazzard with this system.

My first two Finney locos had tenders done this way, but when I came to my pannier tank, I had to use wipers and - even though I took a lot of care with them - the increased stiction they caused was noticable.

Hope you will be going for working inside motion - very noticeable under the boiler (unlike my pannier!)

Best Wishes,

JFS

Postby JFS » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:39 pm

JFS wrote:
johndarch wrote:... with shorting strips on wheels rather than split axles.

Indeed - exactly what I did. I found that a smear of Araldite can cure a wooden leg when it comes to mysterious shorts, which - it has to be conceded - are a bit of a hazzard with this system.

My first two Finney locos had tenders done this way, but when I came to my pannier tank, I had to use wipers and - even though I took a lot of care with them - the increased stiction they caused was noticable.

Hope you will be going for working inside motion - very noticeable under the boiler (unlike my pannier!)

Best Wishes,

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:09 pm

The tender is now finished bar the screw link coupling which will go on at after it's painted.

Tender 07.jpg

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:26 pm

Lovely work John!

Mike

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:51 pm

Lovely stuff John, looking forward to seeing this progress.

John,
The second best priest

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:53 pm

I am currently building the loco and one thing is puzzling me. What are the things I have circled on the frame overlays? On photos of the prototype they are hidden by the brake hangers. Any suggestions.

Loco 18.jpg

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:15 pm

johndarch wrote:I am currently building the loco and one thing is puzzling me. What are the things I have circled on the frame overlays? On photos of the prototype they are hidden by the brake hangers. Any suggestions.

Without looking at photos or drawings of the real thing, I would assume that there were equalising beams between the springs for the front and rear pairs of driving wheels and that the objects outlined are the bearings for them.

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:55 pm

That has also been confirmed from another source. Many thanks.

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:24 pm

Here's the current state of play on the 28xx.

Loco 19.jpg

The etch for the valve gear arrived from Brassmasters this week, so now is a good point to break off from working on the body and go back to working on the chassis. I will only be building the valve gear cosmetically as the eccentrics are not available at the moment and I don't rally want the hassle of building working valve gear anyway!

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:02 pm

That's a lovely looking thing...

Are all those rivets half-etched or punched?

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:11 pm

The vast majority are half etched.

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:29 pm

Finally managed to get the valve gear finished. It is purely cosmetic and is modified to let the wheelset drop in and out.

Loco 20.jpg

Having got that out of the way, I fitted the brake hangers (cut down brass lacemakers pins) and frame overlays. Brake gear next.

Loco 21.jpg

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Tue May 04, 2021 6:53 pm

Doesn't time fly. 2822 is nearly ready for the paint shop. Gearbox should be coming this week (thanks Morgan) so I need to crack on and get the wheels ready.

Loco 36.jpg

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:23 pm

About time for an update! Very little modelling over the summer but I have finally got around to adding a bit of paint and some light weathering.

Loco 43a.jpg

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:55 pm

Looking very nice indeed, John.
Are you intending to do heavier weathering or leave it as is? Looks just right to me.
Get to see more than enough of these (in various states of disrepair) at Toddington.
Dave.

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:24 pm

Thanks Dave. Unlike many of my locos, 2822 will only be lightly weathered.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”