SECR livery for Sterling R class 0-6-0

ben mason

SECR livery for Sterling R class 0-6-0

Postby ben mason » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:18 am

I am starting a project to build a Sterling R class as running on the Canterbury to Whitstable branch in SECR days.Early photos of this line seem to be quite rare, and I only have a couple of front end views of these loco's. Would they have received the full lined green livery or were the branch line engines painted more modestly? They seem to have been well maintained, being not too far from Ashford, with lots of polished brass in evidence. I would be grateful if anyone has further information.

Guy Rixon

Re: SECR livery for Sterling R class 0-6-0

Postby Guy Rixon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:24 am

In general, all engine were in fully-lined livery during the early Wainwright period, including goods engines, dock shunters and those on the duplicate list. The two well-known alterations of livery were "painting over the domes of goods engines, with very plain lining-out", announced by Mr. Wainwright in 1913 as already in progress, and the change to grey livery during WW1. I'm not aware of any local variations for the C&W.

HMRS have some painting diagrams in their SECR collection. Have you looked there?

Return to “Steam Locomotives”