LNER A1

John Bateson

LNER A1

Postby John Bateson » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:03 am

BACHMANN 32-556 CLASS A1 LOCOMOTIVE 60156 'GREAT CENTRAL'

Just spotted this for sale on eBay apparently described as new and I have in my 'cupboard of shame' one of the Dave Bradwell chassis kits for the A1 bought about 12 years ago I think.
At £95 this seems good value and my wife has offered to padlock lock it it away somewhere off site until Christmas.

It seems reasonable to go ahead but are there any experiences out there in P4-Land that I need to know?

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Daddyman

Re: LNER A1

Postby Daddyman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:19 pm

There are cheaper ones (with better names too ;) - North Eastern and North British) regularly and currently available from Hattons. £95 seems over the odds - unless for some reason you actually want that name.

You are, presumably, aware of the failings of the model?

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:46 pm

Daddyman wrote:....You are, presumably, aware of the failings of the model?

Nothing that a set of Timken axleboxes and cover discs won't solve (Hornby "Tornado" could be a possible help here).... although I can't remember the rivet pattern that the cabsides are supposed to have....
That would be an ecumenical matter.

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:17 am

Many RTR models have failings, as do many kits. :? The designers and suppliers do try to do their best I believe within the constraints of scale, cost and feasibility. Often it is just a lack of knowledge of the prototype and as often this knowledge is very often not circulated widely enough to help the designer.
In the case of "Great Central", the engine/locomotive I am buying, I am happy to accept what I consider to be relatively minor failings in the knowledge that with time and the experience built up over the past 10 years, I can put the Dave Bradwell underpinnings in place and end up with a workable model for P4.
When this came onto my wish list some 15 years ago I had planned to put Exactoscale wheels in place but this may no longer be possible.

Why "Great Central" - the clue is in my signature... 8-)
But I really must do something sensible with the 'blog'!
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:29 am

Ivan, you shouldn't really swap plain for Timken axleboxes as these were larger and consequently the frames around them were a slightly different shape. Same with the tender. One day I'll etch some alternative Cartazzi and tender frames but you know how these things go......

There are extra lumps towards the platform edge behind the smokebox (and it's in the instructions) on the Bachmann due to the pattern maker mis-reading the GA - they should be at the inner edge which doesn't drop down under the boiler as it should. Curved face to weighshaft tunnel is easily corrected. All Bachmann bodies benefit from being dismantled and de-burred and I eventually managed to get the cab to fit the boiler without leaning. Most significant issue with rtr bodies is usually what to do with the boiler bands. Didn't our very own John McAleely start with a Hornby Tornado?

Perhaps Mr Daddyman will relieve us from further suspense.

DaveB

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:18 pm

davebradwell wrote:Ivan, you shouldn't really swap plain for Timken axleboxes as these were larger and consequently the frames around them were a slightly different shape. Same with the tender. One day I'll etch some alternative Cartazzi and tender frames but you know how these things go......

Yes, I'm aware of the size of the Timken axleboxes.

As far as the alternative etches go, if they appear any time before my death, I'll be grateful :thumb :D
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:00 am

davebradwell wrote:
Perhaps Mr Daddyman will relieve us from further suspense.

DaveB

Sorry, Dave - didn't realise I'd created suspense! You've already mentioned the drooping footplate. Then there's the tender underframes with 2D detail (I replaced mine with a Hornby underframe from an A3 or an A4 for the 3D look). I also replaced the cartazzi with a Hornby A3/A4 one that I modified quite extensively (cutting and shutting, and extending the nose). I haven't worked on one of these for years, but other issues I seem to remember are thick plastic smoke deflectors (where the later model of the A2 had metal), mould lines on the boiler, and of course the upper cab sides not leaning in. If only some nice person would do an etched replacement cab for it - and, say, for the J39 and B1 too! Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:30 pm

Daddyman wrote:If only some nice person would do an etched replacement cab for it - and, say, for the J39 and B1 too! Wink wink, nudge nudge.

And a full-diameter boiler while they're at it.
Or maybe just fire up the Pro-Scale tools again? :evil:

Return to “Steam Locomotives”