GWR clack valves

steve howe

GWR clack valves

Postby steve howe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:04 pm

I wonder if anyone can give me a steer on this? I'm finishing an old Mallard kit for the GWR Barnum 3206 class 2-4-0 started about 40 years ago by an old friend. He gave up on it when he couldn't find a motor to fit without compromising the cab. Now with a HL gearset in place, the chassis is about done and I'm looking at cab fittings. Most of the supplied Mallard bits are present but the boiler faceplate could do with a lot more detailing. Lacking much visual reference, I've been looking at the photos of the Dean Goods 2516 in Russell which shows much pipework and, I guess would have been reasonably similar to the old 3206 class. Noticeably prominent are the two clack valves on either side of the cab, my query is, would these have also been found on the 3206 class? I would assume so, being a standard fitting, but I know its dangerous to assume! Alan Gibson does an 'early GWR clack valve' in their list of parts, I wonder if these would be appropriate?

Steve

steve howe

Re: GWR clack valves

Postby steve howe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:27 pm

Just as a follow-on from above; I now realise some of these locos were fitted with top-feed at various rebuilds, my example 3223 being one, I guess this would have made cab-mounted valves redundant?

Steve

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:35 pm

According to the Martin Finney instructions for the contemporary 3232 class: "If you have not fitted top feed, fit the two clack box castings to the backhead"

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Thank you Peter,

That sort of solves the problem - I've got the top feed, I haven't got the clack valves!

Its interesting how these older locos were 'upgraded' over their lifetimes, presumably each time they went in for a 'heavy general' more modern fittings were added - the screw reverser on my example being a case in point. I hope the Finney kit is an easier build than the old Mallard!

Thanks again

Steve

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:24 pm

I've recently finished an old Mallard Barnum with a BRO firebox and no dome. I bought the kit decades ago but only realised recently that the boiler was missing so had to scratch build that anyway. Used an alan Gibson milled chassis with the Sharman wheels I bought originally. Just got to finish the tender now using a High Level Dean tender chassis.

In comparison I think the Finney kits are somewhat over-engineered.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”