Brassmasters Rebuilt Royal Scot, 46109

Dave Holt

Re: Brassmasters Rebuilt Royal Scot, 46109

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:15 am

Lindsay, probably not but at least I'll know it's there and it was enjoyable and satisfying to make and fit the inside gear.
Thanks for the various kind comments.
Dave.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:26 pm

Excellent work there David, dead jealous.

Keep Safe

Dave

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:55 pm

Thanks, Dave.
Not too much real progress to report but a few minor items have been fixed - coupling hook, front steps and lamp irons - and a three bits - , front vac pipe, chimney and smokebox door - loosely placed for effect.
Scot_171.JPG

Scot_172.JPG

Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:17 pm

Looking good David almost there.

Keep Safe

Dave

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:34 pm

Progress has slowed recently, partly due to me being distracted by other things (for the first time since my computer updated itself to Windows 10 - a couple of years ago? - I have regained the use of my train simulation programme, so I've been busy driving trains through various parts of the UK) and partly because I'd got to a bit I didn't fancy doing. When in doubt, put it off in the faint hope it might do it itself - hasn't worked yet, though.
Anyway, I have knuckled down and added some detail round the cab area. The rear turn-ins, beading round the opening and hand-rail stanchions have been fitted, as have the revering stand, drivers seat, firemans seat and a vague representation of the coal watering pipe and hose. This latter is variously known as the pet pipe or slaking pipe/hose, but the Pipe & Rod drawing refers to it as the coal watering pipe & hose (that is the Black 5 P&R as the Scot drawing shows it but doesn't itemise it in the pipe list).
Here are a few rather poor photos illustrating this recent progress. The cast back-head is just loosely placed for the photos.
Outside view of the cab with the turn-ins and handrail stanchions in place.
Scot_173.JPG

Reverser stand and drivers seat.
Scot_174.JPG

Firemans seat/tool box and coal spray pipe/hose.
Scot_175.JPG

Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:18 pm

The back head has had the separate detail added and is now fixed in position. The hinged cab doors are also on. Apart from the side mounted cinder guards, which I'll fit right at the end because they are vulnerable to handling damage, that's the cab structure completed. Obviously, there's the glazing to do after painting, too.
Cab doors and back head in place.
Scot_176.JPG

Side-on view with a Black 5 tender snuggled up. The Scot tender has a higher front footplate to more nearly match the height of the loco fall plate(s).
Scot_177.JPG

Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:43 pm

Not very much visible (or even invisible) progress, lately, but I have been driving myself (even more) insane trying to replicate the six feed atomiser used on these locos. The kit includes a quite nice brass casting but I thought it didn't quite capture the real thing, having flanges for the pipe connections, whereas they should be screwed unions. Also, experience has shown just how difficult it is to drill small holes for the wire "pipes" in cast brass, especially where no locating dimples are provided.
This is what I was trying to represent (not my photo and I don't know the origin. I hope the originator won't mind it being used for this purpose.)
P1010690.JPG

Here is my effort, made from bits of 0.5 mm brass tube, mainly, together with the cast version supplied.
Scot_178.JPG

My effort isn't as neat as I would like but, bearing in mind it is only about 5 mm long, once the various "pipes" have been fitted, I don't think it will look too bad.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:46 pm

The atomiser is now finished and fitted to the loco footplate. This completes the lubrication system except for the atomiser steam supply pipe from the pear shaped cover on the upper smokebox down to the footplate.
I have to say, despite my feeling that the atomiser body wasn't as neat as I would have liked, now it's fitted and fully piped up, I am rather pleased with the final outcome. The atomiser body has been mainly soldered together using flux cored 60/40, 179 and 145 grades of solder. The fine oil pipes have been super-glued into the body and the shut-off cock spindle fixed with high grade sleeve/bush retainer.
A quick count leads me to believe that, including the various pipes, there are 41 individual components in the assembly, the smallest being a piece of 0.5 x 0.3 ,, tube, 0.4 mm long, filed square, to represent the head on the shut off cock spindle.
Think I need to lie in a darkened room for a while after this lot.
Here it all is. There's an awful lot of "pipes".
Scot_179.JPG

Scot_180.JPG

Scot_181.JPG

Scot_182.JPG

Dave.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 pm

That's nuts Dave - do you have to do it all again on the other side? Do you think it's been attempted before to this extent and so close to scale - they're normally done at about 2X?

DaveB

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:48 pm

davebradwell wrote:That's nuts Dave

DaveB

:D
Nuts or not, I'm enjoying every minute of this thread! Fantastic work DaveH. So glad that Cab view driver didn't permanently distract you away from modelling. It was the end of my sons' interest in the trainset I made for them!

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:56 pm

davebradwell wrote:That's nuts Dave - do you have to do it all again on the other side? Do you think it's been attempted before to this extent and so close to scale - they're normally done at about 2X?

I wonder if SpecSavers might be interested in sponsoring this thread?
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:58 pm

Thanks for the kind comments.
Fortunately, there's only the one atomiser unit so nothing on the other side, which is quite bare by comparison.
I've just been driving an EE Type 4 (Class 40) from north of York towards Doncaster, on the way to King X but still managing some modelling time.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:28 pm

Not much progress, partly due to distractions such as the excellent Virtual S4N show, Portuguese MotoGP races and sunny weather requiring sitting out in the garden.
However, a start has been made on the brake ejector and associated pipework. I've added the small drain pipes to the ejector body and modified the train vacuum pipe connection to better represent the later type with a hose coupling in the vertical run. The kit casting better represented the earlier all steel arrangement. The additional oval flanged joint has been added in the large discharge pipe, 8 mm from the ejector flange. I've tried to represent the gland nuts on the ejector pipe connections using 0.5 mm tube. All just loose at the moment, temporarily clipped into place.
A rather cruel close-up, many time full size. The wire windings for the hose really don't look that bad in the flesh.
Scot_183.JPG

A more general view showing the modified shape of the train pipe connection. The original casting had a distinct "S" shape.
Scot_184.JPG

Dave.

Terry

Postby Terry » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:22 pm

More superb detail work Dave. I love it!

Terry

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:45 pm

Ouch! Not much progress today - just three 0.3 mm holes drilled in the resin boiler. As anyone who's used these sorts of fine drill bits will know, they're rather easy to break - best bought in 10's. So, I managed to break the bit I've been using recently. In fact, that bit has been broken twice - and neither occasion during drilling! First I broke of part of the plain shank whilst using it for some non-drilling purpose and today I completed the job by stabbing my finger with it (a good 6 mm deep) and snapping it of in my reaction. Luckily, enough of the bit was protruding to allow its removal using tweezers. What with Covid jabs and now this, I'm beginning to resemble a human pin cushion.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:44 pm

The sacrifice of my left index finger by drill bit has not been in vain. The atomiser steam supply pipe has been formed and fixed to the LHS of the smokebox. Part way down, it is held by a "P" clip - made from flattened 0.25 mm copper wire - which utilises one of the 0.3 mm holes drilled prior to the finger incident. The bottom of the pipe runs just inside the inner edge of the footplate, alongside the various other lubrication pipes already fitted. It will be soldered there once the boiler is fixed to the footplate. At the top, the shut-off cock square headed spindle has been represented above the pear shaped cover.
Scot_185.JPG

Scot_186.JPG

A bit of cosmetic restoration of the resin firebox (where I accidentally let a rotary burr climb over the end and mark the outside surface, whilst making the motor clearance) is required before the boiler can be fixed.
Dave.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:18 am

Stunning work there David. Well Done.

All Best

Dave

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:26 am

Thanks, Dave.
I might have over dramatised the finger bit! :mrgreen:
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:44 pm

It really is micro-steps, now. However, I have fitted the ejector exhaust pipe drain, which runs down the side of the smokebox and is clipped to it. This now enables me to glue the boiler to the footplate and then complete the pipes that bridge between the two. I've double checked with my painter/liner that he's happy to have the boiler fixed before painting.
A slightly out-of-focus shot of the drain pipe. The pipe is made from rather over scale 0.152 mm brass wire.
Scot_187.JPG

Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:32 pm

No going back now......
The boiler is firmly and immovably fixed to the footplate using original (slow curing) Araldite, as well as the pegs and screw previously used to temporarily hold the two together. The fixing has allowed the top feed pipes and brake ejector to be permanently fitted. Advantage was taken of the time for the slow curing grade can be worked to also fit the chimney. Excess adhesive was carefully scraped away before it set hard.
So here we are:
Scot_188.JPG

Scot_189.JPG

Scot_190.JPG

That's the most complete the loco has been so far.
Dave.

Terry

Postby Terry » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:22 pm

It looks absolutely awesome Dave. Most impressed and most definitely inspired! Painting such a meticulously detailed beauty must be quite a challenge and as quite a novice here(even at my age!) I'd be interested to understand a little more with regard to how the locomotive can be broken down into major subcomponents for detailed painting?

Terry

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Sat May 01, 2021 8:10 am

That really does look 'the business' Dave. Keep up the good work.

Postby 45609 » Sat May 01, 2021 9:03 am

Looks great Dave. Are the boiler handrails and smoke deflectors going on before or after painting?

Cheers...Morgan

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Sat May 01, 2021 9:41 am

What a cracking piece of work Dave, it looks fabulous and I can't wait to see it running.

Robin

Steve4RoseGrove

Postby Steve4RoseGrove » Sat May 01, 2021 11:47 am

Magnificent! I love all the pipes & fittings that you have added to what is already good kit. It really does add all the 'bits' that are almost always missing from models. And that is in addition to the inside motion. What an inspiration.
Steve

Return to “Steam Locomotives”