Brassmasters Rebuilt Royal Scot, 46109

Steve4RoseGrove

Re: Brassmasters Rebuilt Royal Scot, 46109

Postby Steve4RoseGrove » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:10 pm

Stunning! It's got everything.
Do you have (pipe) drawings etc. or have you been doing contortions with a camera?
Absolutely wonderful work.

Steve

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:06 pm

Steve.
Thanks for the kind comments.
There are various drawings, including Pipe & Rod for both original and rebuilt locos, in the Wild Swan profile book. I've used these, along with published photos and some private shots which a couple of people have sent me via model railway web sites, to help make the pipework. I haven't been any contortions myself!
Dave.

Chas Levin

Postby Chas Levin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:53 pm

May I add to the admiring comments - really superb modelling! :)
Chas

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:28 pm

A couple of hours with a rotary burr have resulted in this. Quite a lot of material has been removed to accommodate the 16 mm diameter motor and to get the boiler casting to sit down onto the footplate. I'm quite pleased with the fit around the splashers and some very minor gaps will be filled by the glue used to fix the boiler in place - probably some sore of epoxy.
Scot_156.JPG

Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 pm

Progress continues at a glacial pace.
Arrangements have been made to allow the boiler unit to be attached and removed from the footplate assembly. The kit intends two 10 BA screws though the slots in the footplate into holes tapped directly into the resin under the smokebox saddle. The firebox end remains free until finally glued to the cab front. I really didn't like this arrangement, partly because my representation of the inside cylinder and exhaust passageways are in the way of the suggested screws, and mainly because I wanted a more secure attachment to the cab. I find that, inevitably, the boiler gets used as a handle for picking up the loco (I know it shouldn't, but that's my experience) and the idea of it all just hanging on a glued joint didn't fill me with confidence.
So, alternative arrangements have had to be made.
At the front, a single 14 BA countersunk screw, somewhat further forward than the kit design and clear of the internal gubbins, passing through the resin into a nut soldered to a backing plate which, in turn, is epoxy glued inside the smokebox, as shown here:
Scot_157.JPG

At the rear, brass wire pegs have been fixed into holes drilled into the rear face of the firebox. These engage with the opening in the front of the cab which both centralised the firebox and held it tight down onto the splasher tops and footplate.
Scot_158.JPG

In the kit, the cover plates along the bottom of the firebox, between the rear splashers are supplied as white metal castings. I thought these might be tricky to solder to the footplate and to have the pipes running along the top fixed without melting part of them so i replaced them with items made from brass strip.
A start has been made to represent the various pipe runs from the cab and along the tops of the rear and centre splashers. Some of these were steam to the sanders and are shown on the Pipe & Rod drawing. An additional, slightly smaller pipe, on each side, is clearly visible in photos but does not appear on the P&R, so I suspect they are either a later modification or are lubrication pipes of some sort.
Here are the pipes on the LHS made from 0.2 mm copper (5 amp fuse wire) for the sander steam and 0.182 mm brass for the mystery additional pipe. The small securing clips are made from flatted 0.2 mm copper.
Scot_159.JPG

On with the RHS next. Three pipes on that side.
Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:22 am

Excellent work there David. Great stuff.

Keep Safe

Dave

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:06 am

Inspirational stuff as always Dave!

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:57 am

Thanks for the comments.
Now a plea for help.
Has anyone who has built an early version Black 5 from a Brassmasters kit got a spare atomiser cock cover - a white metal casting, part No. 44, that they could let me have? That's the type fitted lower down on the smokebox on later build 5s.
The reason for my request is that the part in the Scot kit is the wrong type, at least in the era for my model.
Dave.

Steve4RoseGrove

Postby Steve4RoseGrove » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:57 am

I can have a look tomorrow, need to check my prototype as well of course (1960 condition)
Cheers,
Steve

Copper - shim for those tiny cleats?

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:47 pm

Thanks, Steve. Any luck so far?
A little more progress has been made with detailing the footplate.
I've finally got round to re-attaching the sand box filler pipe support plates, three of which I accidentally broke off the footplate etch way back in the construction. I broke the forth one off deliberately, to make them all the same. It's been a real fiddle to position the loose plates and hold whilst getting a tack of solder to retain them. However, after some frustrating missteps, they're all now fixed in an acceptable position. Actually, the original arrangement, where they folded up from the inner edge of the footplate was wrong as the bottom edge of the plates should be set away from the edge by some distance. Having them detached has allowed this to be replicated.
Also added is an additional two feed oil pot on each side, forward of the mechanical lubricator and orientated at right angles to the loco. These are not mentioned in the kit instructions but clearly show in photos. Perhaps these pots were added after the initial rebuilding?
Rather cruel enlarged shot showing the sand box fillers and additional oil pot. Looks like a bit more cleaning up is required on the forward plate.
Scot_160.JPG

Dave.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:35 am

It's all trials and tribulations David but your work is spot on.

Keep Safe

Dave

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:40 pm

Dave
That dodge with the firebox fixings into the cab are a great idea! Pinched!! Superb work as always...

Stay safe

Mike

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:33 pm

Thanks Dave and Mike.
Onwards! Now you see it, now you don't. The kit provides a very nice, multi-part support bracket for the reach rod. Unfortunately, i found it necessary to cut 2 mm from the back of the base plate and stiffening rib to allow the reach rod to align with the slots in the cab front and the reversing arm on the weigh shaft. In any case, it becomes completely hidden from view by the extra rear sand boxes that were fitted shortly after rebuilding the locos.
Reach rod in place, with support bracket.
Scot_161.JPG

And there it is - gone!
Scot_162.JPG

Dave.

Steve4RoseGrove

Postby Steve4RoseGrove » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:37 pm

Thanks, Steve. Any luck so far?

Part duly found in a kit planned to be SFB (45205) and snipped from the sprue - will catch the post on Monday, will PM for address.

Cheers,
Steve

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:19 pm

A friend has posted some photos on WT showing the detail of the oil pipe runs around the mechanical lubricators. These showed that I had incorrectly mounted the 4 and 3 feed oil pots in the wrong place. The sprue on the castings was a perfect fit in holes etched into the footplate, so i assumed these were locating holes. Wrong! The oil pots are further inboard and the holes are where several oil pipes pass through the footplate.
The offending oil pots have been moved inboard. It was a bit of a struggle to hold them in the right position and upright in two planes without the locating peg. Sadly, the LH, 4-feed has suffered somewhat and the fairly neat pipe runs I'd achieved originally are no longer as good as I would like. That said, they don't look as bad on the actual model as they do in a several times full size photo! The hole in the footplate, through which several oil pipe pass, but which I had wrongly used to locate the bottom of the oil pot, is plainly visible. The much larger hole is where the mechanical lubricator fits. However, the lubricator casting is flat at the bottom and devoid of a locating peg, so the hole is totally redundant.
Also visible are the oil pots on the front splashers and the atomiser cock cover on the side of the smokebox. The W/m casting is a spare from a Brassmasters Black 5 kit, kindly donated by Steve, of Rose Grove fame, as the one in the Scot kit is quite the wrong shape.
Scot_163.JPG

Another request for help. I thought I had the nameplates for this loco - 46109, Royal Engineer, but now I've taken a proper look at them, I'm not happy with their appearance and scale size. Unfortunately, my normal source of numbers and plates - 247 Developments, doesn't list this particular loco. Can anyone suggest another source of suitable plates. 4 mm scale, of course.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:20 pm

Just had to have a go at improving the oil pot pipes. I also noticed that the front pipe was missing - lost during the removal tussle, so that's been replaced and the other pipes re-bent to neaten them up a bit. Still not as good as they were originally, but better than before. I think.
Scot_164.JPG

Dave.

PhilipT

Postby PhilipT » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:36 pm

I have a set of Modelmaster/Jackson Evans plates of 46109 if you'd like them.

Phil Tattershall

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:09 pm

Phil,
That's most kind of you. I'll send a PM with my details.
Dave.

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:04 pm

Fantastic - it's a shame more of the Brassmasters parts arent available separately, though I can understand the lack of value to them in stocking relatively low turnover low value parts - though they seem to manage with the GW bits & pieces.

Their oil pots are a better starting point than the Gibson ones, though at least the latter do exist - while the atomiser covers are a missing link.

Who were your original set of nameplates from? I think its a modelmasters pack I have for 46145

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:25 pm

Pete, I'd prefer not to say save that it was a range which is no longer available.
Actually, they are very nicely etched, it's just that there were several different formats for Scot nameplates and Royal Engineer had the plate directly above the splasher and a crest/emblem above that. The etched plates are the type that had plain section below the name - which is correct for some locos, but not mine. Indeed, the mounting plate in the kit is of this style and will possibly require trimming at the top to ensure it doesn't protrude above the nameplate. The other problem is that the crests were not included.
Before I finally settled on 46109, I also had in mind 46113, Cameronian, and obtained plates from 247 Developments. These are the correct style and included the crests, so it was a bit disappointing to find that they don't do 46109.
The problem has been solved by Phil T's very kind offer of his surplus set of plates.
Dave.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:05 am

PeteT wrote:Fantastic - it's a shame more of the Brassmasters parts arent available separately, though I can understand the lack of value to them in stocking relatively low turnover low value parts - though they seem to manage with the GW bits & pieces....

I've generally found that LMS / LNER parts are available from Brassmasters, as long as you order the full set of castings. I did this recently with the V2 fittings, many of which can be used for the V4. Much easier for them to supply you with a complete pack rather than just one or two bits from a sprue. The ones you don't use can be kept for other purposes.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:29 pm

The mechanical lubricators have been fitted and "piped" up. A few other items have also been added including, randomly, the top feed and dome.
With the lubricators, I've tried to route all the pipes more or less as the real thing, based on photos of the preserved Royal Scot loco. It's not all correct because the cast lubricators are both 12 feed (3 plugged) whereas the cylinder lubricator, on the LHS, should be a 16 feed type (one plugged) - so a few pipes short.
Apologies that a couple of these shots are slightly out of focus, but I think they illustrate the point.
First, two shots of the LH, cylinder lubricator.
Scot_165.JPG

Scot_166.JPG

And two of the RH mechanical lubricator.
Scot_167.JPG

Scot_168.JPG

There's still the atomiser and associated piping to do and some representation of the lines that link across from one side to the other, under the boiler.
Finally, a couple of shots with the boiler loosely plonked on, showing the top feed and dome.
Dave.

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:10 pm

Hard to believe it's 4mm. Amazing work Dave.

Terry

Postby Terry » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:30 pm

Incredible detail for 4mm scale. Most impressed.

Terry

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:00 am

I'm also enthralled and impressed by progress on this beast of an engine and will continue to drool over updates. However, going back to the starting point of the thread and the working inside motion - will anything ever be seen of it all behind everything else? I do hope so.

Lindsay

Return to “Steam Locomotives”