Brassmasters Rebuilt Royal Scot, 46109

Steve4RoseGrove

Re: Brassmasters Rebuilt Royal Scot, 46109

Postby Steve4RoseGrove » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:55 am

Wow - that's fabulous. Not easy to see when assembled, but you know it's there. All those items between the frames and below the footplate = a complete model.
Look forward to seeing it some time.
Cheers,
Steve

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:00 pm

Wow Dave it's just fabulous. Can't wait to see it running

All the best for the New Year

Robin

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:43 pm

Thanks for the kind comments.
The cylinder drain cocks and operating linkage have been fitted and, I'm fairly sure, that completes the cylinder/valve gear unit.
Scot_139.JPG

In this photo, the connecting and eccentric rods have been disconnected from their crank pin; hence the strange angles.
Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:04 am

I think I've just experienced a modelling first.
Not much work on the Scot recently as I've been occupied by other things but am making a jig to position the angle section sand pipe supports and, for the first time I think, I've had to change a piercing saw blade because the teeth were worn out, rather than because I broke it!
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:22 pm

The jig mentioned above is now complete and ready to use. Probably a bit of over-kill, but there are 8 supports to be accurately positioned for depth below the frames and spacing either side of the axle.
The jig clamps to the spring part of the keeper plates and can be adjusted for position before tightening the clamp screws (the larger head in the photo). There are pivoted side pieces that hold the 0.8 mm angle material for the sand pipe supports. They can be hinged out of the way to allow the jig to be removed once the angle is soldered to the mounting tags on the spring part.
Here's the front section of keeper plate and the jig with the side parts hinged away.
Scot_140.JPG

And here the jig is clamped to one of the springs and a lash bit of 0.8 mm angle held in position by the side part moved into the working position. The support angles need to have a bend in them so they lie against the mounting tag which can just be seen above the jig.
Scot_141.JPG

Hope it works in practice.
Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:06 pm

Here's a not particularly good photo of the jig in use. You can just about make out the nearer support angle held in the LHS of the jig and soldered to its mounting tag. The one one the other side is already attached.
Scot_142.JPG

Only another six to do.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:23 pm

Not that much progress since the last entry. I've been putting off the next steps and busying myself with some non-modelling activities to avoid having to tackle the sand pipes. Where's the problem with those I hear you ask - just bits of bent brass wire. Mmm....., not quite that straightforward on the Scot, especially if you want them to come away with the keeper plate.
Anyway, a start has been made.....
Frames with all eight support struts fitted:
Scot_143.JPG

Just visible in this shot is one of the notches cut into the bottom edge of the frame, into which a bracket attached to the ash pan side protrudes to lie flat against the frames and form part of the sand pipe support. In this way, the sand pipes, which extend up to (through) the footplate, are actually mounted on the keeper. The arrangement is shown in these photos:
Scot_144.JPG

Scot_145.JPG

Just have to motivate myself to plough on with the others, now.
Dave.

essdee

Postby essdee » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:26 pm

Looking superb Dave! - keep at it...

Cheers,

Steve

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:40 pm

Fair play Dave - suberb, starting to run out of superalitives!
It looks like you used brass wire for the sand pipe runs, from the footplate - may I ask what diameter please.

regards

Mike

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:28 pm

Yes, Mike, 0.45 mm brass wire. The real things are 1 5/16" O/d, which scales at 0.4375 mm, so I use 0.45 as the nearest readily available. I believe gravity sand pipes (as on GWR and early locos from other companies) were somewhat larger diameter.
Dave.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:39 pm

Dave Holt wrote:Yes, Mike, 0.45 mm brass wire. The real things are 1 5/16" O/d, which scales at 0.4375 mm, so I use 0.45 as the nearest readily available. I believe gravity sand pipes (as on GWR and early locos from other companies) were somewhat larger diameter.

I'm only surprised you haven't tried running a drill into the wire ends to make it look hollow! :thumb
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:17 pm

All the sand pipes are now fitted and bent to shape. It looks like some very minor tweaking is required before the brackets to the support struts are fitted.
On this occasion, I've decided not to drill the ends of the pipes to make them look hollow. :mrgreen:
Scot_146.JPG

Dave.

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:48 pm

Dave Holt wrote:All the sand pipes are now fitted and bent to shape. It looks like some very minor tweaking is required before the brackets to the support struts are fitted.
On this occasion, I've decided not to drill the ends of the pipes to make them look hollow. :mrgreen:
Scot_146.JPG
Dave.

Trick missed Dave, Eileen does 0.4mm brass tube.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:52 pm

Yes, thanks, Will, I've got some. Seems a bit of a waste for these and it might be hard to stop it collapsing on the tighter bends. Not sure you can get plumber's bending springs that small.
Dave.

alan@york

Postby alan@york » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:03 pm

but you could have .33 or other thin wire inside the brass tube, except at the lower end... to help prevent crumpling.
a@y

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:40 am

After a bit more putting it off, I've fitted all eight support brackets to the sand pipes, This makes hem much more rigid and will allow trimming of the top of the rear pipes to just below the footplate.
Scot_147.JPG

Dave.

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:04 pm

Looking splendid Dave.

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:39 pm

Dave Holt wrote:After a bit more putting it off, I've fitted all eight support brackets to the sand pipes, This makes hem much more rigid and will allow trimming of the top of the rear pipes to just below the footplate.

Is this going to prevent you from being able to drop the wheels out? Great looking build by the way.

(Edit) Ignore me I just read that they are part of the keeper plate! They really didn't consider the 4mm modeller when designing these locomotives...

Nick Allport
CLAG

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:07 pm

Yes, Jack, as you realised, the sand pipes come off with the keeper plate. The main problem is that the brake rigging is now interlocked with the sand pipe/keeper unit and, although loose, they both have to be removed and fitted together, which makes it a bit more complicated to align everything.
I've now fitted the treads to the rear steps and finally got round to bending the front guard irons (part of the frames) to shape. Just for fun, the chassis was posed with the tender from Black 5, 45232, to see how the steps align. Pretty well, as can be seen. Of course, the proper Scot tender is a fully rivetted type and has a higher front platform to match the loco footplate level.
Scot_148.JPG

Dave.

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:07 am

Dave this is positively brilliant. It is making me have itchy fingers to get back to my V2's. There is a number of items in the way of this at the moment. :(

Any how hopefully I get to some modelling this weekend.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:36 pm

Apart from the motor/gearbox torque restrainer and the pick-ups, I think the chassis is now complete. The last cosmetic items fitted were the front foot steps and bracing struts and the two injector overflow pipes.
All the parts have been re-assembled, partly to check the assembly sequence. After inserting ten 14 BA screws into the keeper plate, I discovered that the eccentric strap cannot be fitted into the sheaf unless the axle is partially withdrawn from the horns - somewhat frustrating but, hopefully, I'll remember for the future. With the keeper plate split in two (a mistake I now realise) and entwined with the brake rigging and the exhaust injector steam pipe floating around, it's a bit of a fiddle to get everything into place so the screws can be fitted. Three pinged out of the tweezers but were later retrieved, much to my relief.
Here we see both sides and the under side and top.
Scot_149.JPG

Scot_150.JPG

Scot_151.JPG

Scot_152.JPG

Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:12 pm

Motor restrainer now fitted. It's removable so the gear box can be tipped forward to access the motor fixing screws.
Scot_153.JPG

Dave.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:34 pm

Hi Dave.
To say that I am highly impressed would be an understatement.
Hard to believe it is only 4mm/ft scale.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:05 pm

Hi David, I have to agree with Tony's comment. A modeling at a skill I can only dream of. Well done and I look forward to seeing it painted and finished.

Keep Safe

Dave

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:53 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, Gents.
In order to delay having to sort out the pick-ups, I've allowed myself to be distracted by bending lengths of 0.8 mm brass wire to represent the two injector delivery pipes and the train vacuum pipe under the footplate. Under the front end of the cab, these align (more or less) with the aft part of the pipes which are part of the chassis. Because of the vacuum pipe on the driver's side, the two delivery pipes are not symmetrical.
Having previously said that the chassis was complete except the pick-ups, I now realise that I haven't quite completed the hopper ash-pan operating lever.
A general view from underneath.
Scot_154.JPG

The driver's side, with the injector delivery pipe below the valance and clipped to the vacuum pipe directly above, but hidden. On the fireman's side, the delivery pipe is further outboard and higher up, hidden behind the valance.
Scot_155.JPG

Dave.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”