Johnson Tenders

Serjt-Dave

Johnson Tenders

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:42 pm

Hi All. I'm just nearing completion of the tender for my 4f. This is a S&D locomotive that was built as a batch by Armstrong and Whitworth. It looks like the Armstrong also built the tenders as well for this batch of 4f's. Based on the Johnson design they differed slightly to the normal 3500 gallon version and I believe they were known as C Types. One of the differences was the side sheets extended further forwards incorporated a small horizontal grab rail and a long vertical handrail. On the standard Johnson tenders where the side sheets ended they had two vertical handrails connected at the top by a horizontal rail. This also combined a fixing point for the hand brake and if fitted the water scoop handle as well.

What I would like to know is how the front end looks on a C Type tender? Looking at images of these tenders it looks like it must be very similar to the high fronted normal Johnson tender but the images don't show how the hand brake is fitted. Is it like a free standing stanchion or is the leaver attached to the front bulkhead? If anyone got any images of these C Type I would be much obliged if I could take a gander at them please.

I can hear you all saying 'why don't you read the bloody kits instructions'. Well alas I don't have any for this tender, in fact I don't even have a complete kit for it as no one makes one anymore. I managed to get hold of a really old body etch from Colin at Alan Gibson. The etch contains the sides, back, running plate, coal rails and false frames. The rest of the tender I'm using a LRM Johnson 3250 gal tender as a donor.

If anyone has any info or images please let me know.

All Best and Keep Safe

Dave

Return to “Steam Locomotives”