Martin Finney V2

DougN

Re: Martin Finney V2

Postby DougN » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:56 am

Well no great progress on the V2's, yesterday was the local groups meeting, for the first time in about 4 months. It was a good meeting, the V2's were well appreciated. The other items there were a 7mm western which was beautifully finished. Along with a GER coach and some 3d printed buildings.

Anyhow today I wasn't motivated to get on with the locos flapping around with an old kit that I need some axleboxes and springs for. Then I went through my unbuilt kit box with no great purpose. Any how about an hour or so later I started cleaning up the table I found one of the bits I was missing... in the fold of the pocket book I have the instructions in :D ... then I think ...well I should continue cleaning up and looking through every thing on the work tray this time.... hah... second missing bit found.. :D . well I thought rather than losing them again I would solder them on... now one of the smokebox doors has disappeared :cry:

Anyhow it will surface no doubt.

I am positive they are looking like V2's the more I put on in parts the more they look right.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:59 am

It hasn't been a long time since an update. The V2's have moved forward. :thumb

The difficult bits being the area under the smoke box and the lubricator pipe runs. The first challange was soldering the copper onto the lubricator manifolds. Ok bit of false start as the copper I was using was about .4 in diameter and wasn't flexible at all to replicate the curving nature of the real thing. So unsolder all 24 of the wires and replace with .2 mm from some flex (after chasing through my collection of wire to find some). Next to find where they were to run too! Ok over on RMWeb page 1905 of wright writes Mike Trice poped up some very helpful photos. The right hand side matched othe photos I had found which was good. The left however... didn't.. so I found a photo in the Yeadons register of V2's page 51 of a very sorry looking 936 after an accident.

I'll grab some photos shortly.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:58 am

A little longer than expected for the photos. You could say Sunday night roast got in the way and a bit of crime drama watching (Shetland and Vera).

any how
20200817_165021[1].jpg

For one side

20200817_165033[1].jpg

For the other

And the photo of a photo from yeadons This may or maynot have worked it has pixelated!

20200817_165139[1].jpg

Anyhow I am trying to figure out how the lubricators are supposed to be installed. The plans and elevations are very well done but for some reason it is just not working for me! I need also to complete the boiler back head and fit out. Then onto the roof. Umm maybe the end is in sight!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:00 pm

Glad you're not modelling either of them in that condition.
Looks like good progress is being made but, as you say, finding out how and where for some of the smaller details are arranged can be quite difficult.
Dave.

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:19 am

Dave, I have taken what you do as inspiration in the way to tackle things. Your Black fives are that bit further along than my V2's so I have a look every so often and see if I can replicate the detailing.

One thing I have been thinking about is how heavy should a loco be? I have weighted the unweighted V2 body and chassis which with out anything being added came in at about 220grams, this was with out the cab and other whitemetal fittings. Has any one have a V2 running and what weight it is. I can weight it up with Lead sheet (the roll should last me years) I don't want to over do it but also I don't want to under do it! I would like to think it will haul about 10 coaches but these could end up heavy when I get around to some etched coaches.
Doug

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:11 am

As no-one replied to your weight query, Doug, I weighed my Peppercorn A1, being the nearest I have to a V2. It's 460gm, although bogie and Cartazzi are weight bearing. This manages 10 coaches up 1 in 100 and that would include some metal coaches, remainder being Bachmanns at their normal weight - layout owner doesn't feel the need to make coaches excessively heavy for its own sake. The gradients make a huge difference to haulage especially where track is curved.

Deduce what you like from that!

DaveB

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:37 am

Dave, thanks for that. The cartazzi and pony trucks are sprung so they will take a small amount of weight. The body does have a large void in the boiler if the smoke box door is left off. I will do this until I have had a chance to do a test run or 2. I think I will continue to detail the bodies, I am up to the backheads and cabs to be done this weekend nothing much else to be done as it will be a cold wet weekend and a lockdown.

The detailing in the cab looks to be a little involved, I have a quite a collection of photos in the few books I have collected so it will just be time to fabricate and install all the parts. Alot of that is just finding copper wire of the right diameter, bending, fitting and small amounts of solder! I'll try and grab a few photos as I go.
Doug

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:27 am

Doug,
When weighting the loco, especially where the weight is in the boiler, do take care to get the balance of the loco right as it's very easy to make it front end heavy, by packing the boiler and smokebox. Much harder to get weight behind the motor/gearbox.
Dave.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:36 am

Dave, thanks for that. The area I can get too is mostly over the drivers and there is a serious amount of white metal in the cab as there is the blackhead, the steps in the cab and the cab seats. Compared to the front of the loco there is about 10 times more at the back compared to te front!
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:56 am

Well here in Covictoria we're still in lockdown. I have been working from home but this has not allowed more modelling time. Today, though, after mowing the lawn and doing a little gardening tidy up, I spent a little time at the modelling table. I sat down to try and get a number of the parts to the back heads. This really is using the smallest amount of solder of either 145 or 70 degree solder. Depending on the location and the materials I was dealing with. I have most of the castings in place but I am not sure if the gauges are to be on the roof or on the back head. Not all of these have gone on. There is one part that has gone into hiding C28. I have the shelf that goes in the middle of the back head but it needs to be installed with superglue rather than solder.

The copper I have used came from some cat5 cable and some mains cable for the injectors.
IMG_0852.JPG

Oh I should mention I have made these removable but this will need to be installed prior to the roof. It is such a tight fit I doubt I will need any glue to hold them in place! There is also the cast seats and brackets that need to be soldered to the cab sheets that will also stop this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:44 am

They are coming along nicely Doug. I do like a well detailed backhead. Well done.

Keep Safe

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:37 am

A lovely day here in Melbourne. Father's Day so I had a little bit of free time.

There has been a number of things on the modelling list.
First off has been a number of NER hoppers which I have had for years and one had taken up residence on the OO layout... well the trouble was I thought ahead and filed off the w irons (as I generally use bill Bedford springing units) only to find that there was a 1mm gap between the axle boxes and the new w irons. I realised about 2months ago that I could replace the axleboxes with replacements with w irons from wizard. So these were ordered. Only to find the w irons are tight to the head stocks
IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

At the same time I ordered a NER plate wagon which was built up. The only thing is one side is shorter than the other so one end is square but the other is not. I will have to pull this apart again and file bits off to square it up. Nice kit though.
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG

Now I moved onto the V2's, the challange of the cab roof. The instructions are there. But the diagram adds to the challange. Start by curving the roof. And reverse roll the etch to the underside of the roof. I believe this is possibly over length! It locates the front and rear angle on the assembly frame it does over hang the cut out. This forms a rebate for the raised section of the roof. Have a look at these photos which shows the arrangement which I think will help anyone else building one!
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG

The next challange is fitting it to the loco. Mine is not sitting quite right. I found also the safety valves where out of position hence they have been removed. This is not bad to relocate as it I should all hidden under the roof.
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0855.JPG
IMG_0856.JPG
Doug

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:14 am

I've spent days getting my cab roof to fit, Doug, although the lockdown slowdown must be partly to blame. Sir Nigel seems to have set Mr Finney an almost impossible challenge with the shape of it. I couldn't get it to stay in place - it kept springing back to a skewed position. The ends of the V shaped front former are supposed to clip in front of the slides for the side windows but I had sawn off the vital few thou' when detaching the roof from its cradle. I tacked bits of wire on top front of the window slides which reach higher up and push the roof forwards onto the cab front. Profile then tweaked until it finally fitted properly. Whole not helped by the general half thickness bendy cab construction. I have some vague plan to fix it in place permanently by means unknown after painting and glazing.

DaveB

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:58 am

Thanks Dave, it is challanging. I think I have the plan size right then but the roll to produce the 3d shape to the front of the cab doesn't seem to be there. I know that cab roof number 2 will be a heap easier than this one. I leave the loco body on the DVD rack next to the telly and from all the angles I look at it the roof looks right except that it is too high at the pointy end!

I think it can stay there for this week while I think on it!
Doug

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:11 pm

It does look as though you've even managed to incorporate dents in the roof skin :thumb
That would be an ecumenical matter.

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:28 pm

No dents there Horse, well if there is they will be removed. the wire brush I use to remove solder does tend to polish the half etches. Still thinking about the provile and how to get the roof to sit right down on the cab!
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:17 am

Battle has continued today. Number 2's roof has been fabricated and I continued to look at the fittings issues. A couple of notes for others
1 the roof doesn't over hang the front of the cab refer to photos in Yeadons.
2 the angle of the front of the cab can cause the roof to be pushed back. This was/ is the problem with the first loco. I am thinking about moving the sub frame back so as to more closely match the cab angle.
3 the length of the detail to the underside of the roof can cause issues. As the front of the cab needs to be flush, then the sub frame. I suspect though the point of the V to the rear of the roof needs to be exactly the same as that of the cut out in the roof. This is a problem as the instructions don't really give you a heads up and the diagram also misses out on this detail.
4 the rear angle to the back of the cab should also be slightly back from the edge of the cab rear.
5 rolling the roof on your thigh with a 10mm steel bar is the easiest way to get the shape right. I found a staedler propelling pencil just about matches the diameter for the "raised roof" section. This surprisingly is fairly easy to get to the right shape. Which is also has over lays to solder on. These are difficult to locate as there is no fixed locations. The openings to the safety valves over lay is fairly straight forward. The vents though are a bit of a challange. It is one of the many times where being able to see underneath and on top at the same time would be healpful!
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:24 am

Here are the photos for above.
Number 2
IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

This last photo shows the roof I have over hanging at the front and the over hang to the cab sides appears to be a little too much.
I will file the front back but the sides might stay as they are.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:47 pm

A quick note to say I have not stopped modelling as I am waiting on some bits and peices from Eileens Emporium to get back onto the V2's.

In the mean time, other than not feeling to good, I have started building a NER S1 signal box. Strangely this is the first building I have done in a exceedingly long time. So it is more a case of re learning how to build things up from the materials I have. The latest skill has to be to learn how to make windows from 5thou white styrene and Clear styrene. They appear to have been successful, I have to figure out how to make the arched windows to the locking room level. I know that there is items which are not correct on the model but I have collected a bit of skill and knowledge for the next time being:-
1 Precision paints do a windows etch which would make the entire thing a lot quicker
2 the Garden bond brickwork is available from south east finecast in embossed Plasticard

So for future builds I have found:-
1 I have made my own from Plasticard which is probably not as fine as the above.
2 The Wills sheet English bond is not quite right as it needed additional stretcher courses to match Garden bond (one header, 3 stretchers) the advantage of the wills is there is no laminations required for a stable wall, but there is the standard disadvantages with the Wills in the over thickness.

Any how i will arrange a photo or 2 in time.
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun May 29, 2022 8:50 am

As i have a thing for returning to projects after a long hiatus. I have restarted on the pair if V2s the parts did arrive from Eileen's once i had started other things. So after 19months i have actually done something. I needed to figure out how to install nuts and bolts to the smoke box to allow the loco to be broken down for painting. After an hour and a half using some brass sheet and bits i have installed a nut (first soldered to a rolled strip of brass) inside the smoke box and 2 countersunk bolts. The smoke boxes both sit down on the saddles! Now back to figureing out where i had left the detailing and restart it all.

The J26 is sitting happily in the display cabinet until the next visit to David Clifts for a run and a shake down. Oh last weekend when i.picked it up the draw gear on the loco fell off... so i refixed that as well today!

Ill do photos when there is something interesting to see!
Doug

Return to “Steam Locomotives”