GWR number plates

bordercollie

Re: GWR Number plates

Postby bordercollie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:50 am

Hi

I will need some number plates for a GWR kit I have recently purchased.

I am after a product that is up to the standards of a Malcolm Mitchell kit. A search has revealed Fox Transfers, Modelmasters Jackson Evans, Narrowplanet and 247 Developements. I would appreciate peoples views on these products. There used to be a company called CGW nameplates that doesn't to show up now. As I remember it these were highly regarded. Are these still available?

petermeyer

Re: GWR 44xx Kits

Postby petermeyer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:07 am

I have used Narrow Planet who are the only ones to do bespoke number plates to my knowledge. I have also bought from some of the others who have limited choice of numbers which are searchable online.

Phil O

Re: GWR 44xx Kits

Postby Phil O » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:45 am

I recently had a whole batch of number plates done by Brian at 247 Developments and they appear to be as good as anyone else's. He waits until he can fill a sheet before getting them etched. One of my requests was for 4409 plates, now added to his list. At the time Narrow Planet were not taking any new commissions.

Phil

Noel

Re: GWR number plates

Postby Noel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:08 pm

The Martin Finney d-i-y ones are available from Brassmasters http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/gwr_etched_components.htm.
Regards
Noel

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:26 pm

I use 247, Fox Transfers and Modelmaster. All are very good but like any etched plates are a trifle on the thin side. I sometimes glue on a shim or styrene backing plate to bulk cab side plates up a bit.

I think CGW retired a while back.

Philip

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:57 pm

The maximum depth [over beading and numbers] was 3/4 inch, which is just about 10thou in 4mm unless my maths has gone awry.
Regards
Noel

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:05 pm

The measurements I've taken give a depth of 1" over beading and numbers, with the numbers themselves 1/4" high. There is also a bevelled rim around the outside of the plate around 1/2" deep. To my mind the ideal etched plate would be two layers of 0.006"; I'll get round to doing some one day when I finally do a sheet at that thickness. Admitedly the measurements were taken from preserved locos so I don't know how many of the plates were original (if any) but Noel's point about depth is a valid one, plates generally aren't really thick enough. Name plates similarly. This is most apparent to me on plates for the BR standards which were great chunky things.

Justin

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:25 am

By chance, I’ve just seen the 4D Model Shop newsletter that promotes, what is to me, a new technique that may be interesting for anyone prepared to do their own drawings.

https://modelshop.co.uk/Static/WorkShop/Photo-Etching#control
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:53 am

jjnewitt wrote:The measurements I've taken give a depth of 1" over beading and numbers, with the numbers themselves 1/4" high

I was using a diagram in Brian Haresnape's "Railway Liveries", which agrees on the depth of the numbers; it doesn't look like a Swindon Drawing, but the author was generally reliable. The HMRS "Livery Register" also shows 3/4" overall, with numbers and rim 1/4" [which may, of course, be the source of the dimensions on the drawing in "Railway Liveries"]. It is possible that there was a difference in the depth of brass and cast iron number plates, or it might be the difference between originals and reproductions, or just an error in the drawings; I don't know.
Regards
Noel

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:06 pm

Kings Cross plates are still available:

http://www.gcrsociety.co.uk/kingscrossplates.html

Steve

bordercollie

Postby bordercollie » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:49 am

Hi
I have done a few calculations. If we except that number plates are around 0.75 " thick. This would be around 0.75/76.2 = approx 10 thou in 4mm scale.

I have received the thickness' used by various manufacturers and so far I have found the Narrow planet plates is closest at 12 thou. I believe that 247 uses 8 thou. I am getting clarification of this.

I believe therefore that the closest to scale would be best if everything is is equal. So if I can get the number I need I think I will use narrow Planet or 247 developements. Has anybody any thoughts?

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:47 am

bordercollie wrote:So if I can get the number I need I think I will use narrow Planet or 247 developements. Has anybody any thoughts?

Only that the overall appearance, font shape and size, and spacing of digits is probably more important to a convincing number plate than a slight inaccuracy in thickness.
Regards
Noel

myoxall

Postby myoxall » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:54 am

Just received Nameplates and Bunker numbers from Narrow Planet, for two Locos currently under construction. They measure 0.16mm in thickness. I'm very happy with them and they will look great on the finished Locos. JPEG attached. No interest, other than a satisfied customer. :thumb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”