Ultrascale wheel sets

bordercollie

Ultrascale wheel sets

Postby bordercollie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:16 am

I want to purchase a complete set or wheels for a Malcolm Mitchell 44xx kit from ultrascale

When ordering, there are options for axle diameter and end. Can anybody suggest which options I should choose? Are there different circumstances which may affect the selection eg type of suspension used?

Dave Franks

Re: Ultrascale wheel sets

Postby Dave Franks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:28 am

I think there was a set on Fleabay last week, might still be there. No problem with any type of suspension with these or most wheels.

Cheers

Dave Franks.

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:40 am

As I recall, if you purchase a complete set of wheels for a 44xx from Ultrascale they come with bespoke axles, which are 1/8" diameter but turned down to a smaller diameter at the end to suit these particular driving wheels, which are unique to the 44xx.

On the Utrascale web site you go into Products, then Complete sets, then GWR.

The current supply time on Ultrascale wheels looks to be 4 months

Ian

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:06 pm

The usual choice for axle diameter would be 1/8". They offer options, as a lot of RTR used to be 3mm and could be useful for a drop in conversion (now RTR is far more varied).

That said, the likes of Brassmasters and High Level hornblocks and gearboxes are available in 3mm too - but 1/8" would be what most people consider standard.

The end is, I presume, whether it is indented or not. Best refer to a photo of the prototype you're modelling. I don't know a lot about Swindon products... But basically the question is whether the end of the axle is flush, or looks indented/more like a tube. These were generally used as a weight saving exercise as far as I am aware.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:22 pm

If you want a set for a 44xx in a Mitchell kit, you will need 1/8” axles. They are turned down at the end but this is a standard part of the product. Ultrascale will confirm when ordering. All suspension components in the kit are designed around 1/8”.

Philip

best33

Postby best33 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:50 pm

You want 1/8th of an inch axles and as other people have stated the ends are turned down to a smaller diameter to accommodate the smaller boss on the wheel. The dimple is a small turning centre on the axle for wheel turning and can be found on most Great Western loco's. Only the Kings had hollow axles, all others to my knowledge are solid.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”