Brassmasters Blk5 45232

Re: Brassmasters Blk5 45232

Postby 45609 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:47 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:They do look rather fine Dave.

Given that they are not supposed to be glamorous engines, I do think the Black 5s were very tidy engines.

Is the coal load on your painted black 5 out of gauge? Best take my barrow to the first tight bridge it goes under!

Can't help but agree with those comments. You've got a cracking pair there Dave. Well done. Regarding the out of gauge coal load. Reminds me of photos of GC line Black 5s after Leicester and Neasden sheds closed. Locos were piled high with coal as they had to do the out and back from Nottingham to Marylebone without a top up. Must have been down to dust in the tender on the LE run back to Annesley shed.

Cheers...Morgan

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:00 pm

Mark is probably right about the coal, but I have seen photos of locos prepared for holiday excursions to Skegness or Scarborough piled high at the start of their turn, so that was the basis. Might have overdone it a bit but it's been like that for about 20 years, so I'm not inclined to change it now.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:43 pm

Well, not much done since the last posting. However, the loco now has its identity and has now been dismantled to component parts prior to painting.
I've been putting this off as I hate to take the models apart having completed the construction - it seems like such a backward step. Still there's no alternative if one wants a finished model.
BM_Blk5_45284_166.JPG

On looking at the trimmed photo, I noticed that the RHS lubrication box had somehow got bent, so this has now been corrected.
And here's the kit of parts all bar various screws and other small components) ready for degreasing and painting.
BM_Blk5_45284_167.JPG

Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:04 am

You have to think positive Dave. Your Black 5 is moving forwards to the painting process. Anyway looking good and I can't wait to see it in it's coat of black.

I've always fancied to do a Black 5 in Experimental Apple Green. I got hold of Brassmasters Black 5 really cheap and I thought it would be a perfect candidate but it was a short firebox version and none of then were ever painted in this livery.

All Best

Dave

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu May 26, 2022 1:12 pm

It's a mystery. We're not talking Toyah songs here, but a part of this loco I can't currently identify or figure out where it goes!
Whilst waiting for some custom parts for the Ivatt 2 tank, my thoughts have turned to painting the Black 5 chassis. It's ages since I dismantled the loco for this purpose and, on opening the tub containing the small parts, I was faced with an assortment of small screws of various diameters and lengths and some other bits including the bush shown below. By a process of trial and error, I managed to find which screws went where but just cannot think where the bush might fit. It's 2 mm O/D by 2.8 mm long with a washer soldered on to form a flange. Quite a large part to omit. Should have kept records of where everything was as I took it apart.
BM_Blk5_45284_168.JPG

The mystery bush/spacer or whatever.
Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu May 26, 2022 4:03 pm

Tender drawbar or front bogie connection?
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu May 26, 2022 7:59 pm

Good suggestions, Keith. I had thought about those myself, but the bush is too long to fit inside either loco or tender drag-box and I already have the correct front bogie spacer tube in situ.
I'm beginning to think it's a surplus part and was either some sort of drilling jig or part of an earlier idea for the drawbar to tender fixing - there are one or two other spurious parts in the screw tub.
There again, it might become apparent when i get to fully re-assemble the whole thing properly.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri May 27, 2022 7:20 pm

In a mad fit of enthusiasm (where on earth did that come from?), both the Black 5 and Ivatt tank chassis components have been painted with Precision single pack etch primer. This stuff seems to have changed in consistency in recent times and even a fairly new, unopened tin was almost like jelly. I scooped some out into a small glass jar and heavily diluted it with cellulose thinners to make it useable. Probably destroyed the etching property though.

Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:50 am

Phew! Some fairly major recovery work has been achieved. I was re-assembling the chassis after basic painting and was struggling to get the cylinder/valvegear sub-assembly to fit on to the frames. Thinking that paint was causing the problem by reducing clearance in the locating slots and between frames and spacers, I forced the unit down into position with quite a bit of force. Oh no! Some of the rods had got trapped and become bent in two planes and also twisted in the case of the RH radius rod. My initial reaction was of total dismay at all that work ruined. However, having calmed down a bit, I set about trying to rectify the situation. Careful bending with tweezers and flattening between the jaws of some small pliers has resulted in acceptably straight rods and free movement. The paint's taken a bit of a battering, so some serious touching up is in order.
I think my heart rate has just about returned to normal, now.
Finished result:
BM_Blk5_45284_169.JPG

BM_Blk5_45284_170.JPG

Needless to say, after the straightening session, I was extremely careful on the second re-assembly and the whole thing slid together quite easily.
On looking at the photos, I see that the LH eccentric rod still looks slightly bent and this has now been rectified.
Dave.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:38 pm

Dave Holt wrote:In a mad fit of enthusiasm (where on earth did that come from?), both the Black 5 and Ivatt tank chassis components have been painted with Precision single pack etch primer. This stuff seems to have changed in consistency in recent times and even a fairly new, unopened tin was almost like jelly. I scooped some out into a small glass jar and heavily diluted it with cellulose thinners to make it useable. Probably destroyed the etching property though.

Dave.

I gave up on precision paints etching primer a few years back after similar experiences (and clogging air-brushes).

I know use two pack etched primers aimed at the car repair industry. There are a number of options but I get on with (and with paint, getting on with is key!) this stuff - https://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=3391

Mark
Mark Tatlow

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:49 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:There are a number of options but I get on with (and with paint, getting on with is key!) this stuff - https://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=3391

Hi Mark,

I note with interest that 2k epoxy states it's suitable for stainless steel. Any chance you could elaborate on thinning and applying though an air brush?

Regards

Matt
Matt Rogers

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:52 pm

ClikC wrote:
Mark Tatlow wrote:There are a number of options but I get on with (and with paint, getting on with is key!) this stuff - https://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=3391

Hi Mark,

I note with interest that 2k epoxy states it's suitable for stainless steel. Any chance you could elaborate on thinning and applying though an air brush?

Regards

Matt

I have no experience of it on stainless steel, only brass and nickel silver to date which it does adher to pretty well (much better than either Precision Paint or Halfords rattle cans).

I dilute it with cellulose thinners. I dilute almost everything that goes through my airbrush with cellulose as it evaporates so quickly. I find it gives a really good finish with ease (but don't let the airbrush be more than about 12 inches from the subject or the thinners have gone before the paint lands).
Mark Tatlow

Winander

Postby Winander » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:36 pm

Mark, Any particular reason you didn't choose their two part etched primer? https://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=3380
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:39 pm

Loco temporarily re-assembled and attached to its tender.
BM_Blk5_45284_171.JPG

BM_Blk5_45284_172.JPG

BM_Blk5_45284_173.JPG

Dave.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:54 pm

Winander wrote:

Mark, Any particular reason you didn't choose their two part etched primer? https://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=3380

Not really.

The story is that my neighbour scraped my car and when I was at the car body shop I bemoaned the quality of primer that I had. They showed me what they used and I copied them!
Mark Tatlow

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:46 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:I have no experience of it on stainless steel, only brass and nickel silver to date which it does adher to pretty well (much better than either Precision Paint or Halfords rattle cans).

I dilute it with cellulose thinners. I dilute almost everything that goes through my airbrush with cellulose as it evaporates so quickly. I find it gives a really good finish with ease (but don't let the airbrush be more than about 12 inches from the subject or the thinners have gone before the paint lands).

Thanks Mark,

Likewise I've had terrible experiences with both Precision and Halfords primers (but I suspect I'm more at fault than the paints), so I'll have a look at this as a primer. I only mention stainless, as I've been having a second think about the Stainless Steel rail offered by DCC concepts, although I've been told by a fellow member of the society it presents it's own set of challenges in itself.

Regards

Matt
Matt Rogers

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:01 am

I have been using a spray pack etch primer which has been working very well with my technique. This is again from Bunnings here in Australia, I have used this and it "sticks" very well to brass and white metal. the product is Metalsheild etch primer by Dulux in a 300g spray pack.
https://www.dulux.com.au/products/details/889h0164 This appears also to be available in standard tins as well

Maybe it is just me but I see this as a better application than I could achieve from a air brush with a lot less clean up. BUT as always it comes down to the level of preparation of the base metal below.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:42 pm

I collected the loco on Saturday from David Clarke, who has done a lovely job of painting, lining/numbering and weathering. I've started the finishing work by re-assembling chassis and bodies after fitting the sprung buffer heads.
Still to do are:- fitting the DCC decoder, glazing, crew, fixing the cab roof (currently loose to ease glazing) and making and fitting the AJ coupling hooks. Oh, and coal in the tender.
Here it is posed with the tender not coupled but in the right place.
BM_Blk5_45284_174.JPG

Dave.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”