LT&S 442T "Thundersley" Tank

Cransford

LT&S 442T "Thundersley" Tank

Postby Cransford » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:40 pm

I've started to build a P4 layout based on Uppingham in Rutland, and it gives an excuse for an eclectic mix of small loco types, one of which is the ex-LT&S 4-4-2T "Thundersley" tank engines. Although there used to be a kit, I think it isn't available now and was looking for possible second hand opportunities when I came across CDC Designs on the Shapeways website.

They have this; https://www.shapeways.com/product/C36Q6 ... d=43807353

It's described as a '00' gauge kit, and there is a separate 'kit' in brass (!) for connecting rods but together they aren't cheap and I'm concerned about how readily they could be adapted to P4. I'm one step above complete novice at the moment so major surgery is out of the question. I've tried to find some contact details for CDC outside of Shapeways but failed and have had to join their "club" to ask about adaption for P4. No answer forthcoming thus far and just wondering if anyone out there knows Jim Connor or has experience of the kits - they cover a variety of condensing locos. Pricing in dollars is a red herring as somewhere along the line Shapeways suddenly changed from Sterling to Dollars and I can't change it back!

Cheers, Paul

sebring115

Re: LT&S 442T "Thundersley" Tank

Postby sebring115 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:59 pm

This may be useful, I got a remaindered edition in the bookshop at bettwysey coed in wales for much less though, there is one on eBay for 9.99. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scratch-Buildi ... D7HN6PV28Q

Cransford

Postby Cransford » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Many thanks, most interesting to see. Only drawback is that whilst I can (hopefully) build loco kits scratch building might be a bridge too far!

Cheers,

Paul

sebring115

Postby sebring115 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Have a read of the book, he really simplifies it and nothing ventured nothing gained. The book is so cheap no reason not to have a go.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:34 pm

If you go with the CDC print there are a few issues to consider.

First, you have to choose the printing material. Choose between "versatile plastic" and "smooth fine detail plastic". The former has poor surface finish and needs lots of work with filler and sanding to make it ready for painting. The chassis would be robust, but the dimensional stability of versatile plastic is not all that so the axle spacing is less likely to match the coupling-rod centres accurately. The detail plastic gives better finish and good dimensional stability, but is expensive and relatively fragile. If I were buying, I might ask the designer to put up the body and chassis as separate products, with the chassis in the "engineering plastic" (a different Shapeways material which I haven't seen offered yet for railway models).

Second, I see in the small print that the print status is still "first to try". In my own prints, that status is cleared by the first successful print, so it looks like the designer hasn't test-printed this model. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice ... but this one is a bit expensive for gambling.

Third, it's a rigid chassis as designed and even then you have to modify it slightly to put metal bearings. I suspect that you might end up engineering a brass chassis using the printed one as a former and provider of brake detail.

Finally, the brass rods and crossheads look like a nice idea, but bear in mind that they come with a slightly rough finish, not smooth like an etch. You'd also have to finish the bores of the brass parts to size: possibly not too hard, but it would have to be done such that the hole centres didn't drift.

Cransford

Postby Cransford » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Guy,

Many thanks for the reply, must admit to not paying attention to the fact that it's not yet been printed! I actually had a response from CDC who confirmed your view about the chassis and I'd already seen the brakes looking more 'Airfix kit' like. Agree totally about the various material options and how expensive the better one might be. All in all seems a bit too much of a leap of faith. Waiting on arrival of the book on scratch building to see what's involved - hard work and a bigger magnifying glass!

Cheers,

Paul

J Gleeson

Postby J Gleeson » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:01 am

Nick Easton has supplied me with etches for a Tilbury Tank in NS.

Return to “Steam Locomotives”