Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2 tank

Dave Holt

Re: Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2 tank

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:04 am

PeteT wrote:Mine has stayed similarly on the back burner for a while, but getting that ladder etch sorted is very near the top of the queue...

Mmmm. I was wondering about that......
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:03 pm

Not too much actual progress since the last update, although lots of pondering and planning seems to have taken place. Work has been done on the cab floor, front and rear. After making the cab rear, with its representation of the coal doors, cupboards, etc., I discovered that I had made a major error in scaling down the dimensions from the LMS drawing. as a result, I made the coal doors and coal opening 10 mm wide instead of 8 mm. The hand brake column and coal watering /pet pipe assembly were also placed too far from the centre line.
By careful unsoldering and re-positioning these latter items, I have managed to partially recover the situation. I'll just have to live with the coal door issue. In the gloom of the enclosed cab the error should not be too apparent.
Here's the modified part ready to fit when the time comes.
Ivatt_2T_031.JPG

Boiler back head detailing and reverser stand next.
Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:56 pm

I have made some progress with the boiler backhead. The starting point was a Comet W/M casting for an Ivatt Class 2. I wasn't over impressed with the moulded detail and decided to file it all off except the fire hole doors. New items are being created from a selection of brass wire, tube, sections, handrail knobs and bits of N/S salvaged from the Scot etches.
So far, I made and fitted representations of the blower, sanding valve arrangement, steam manifold and injector steam pipes; all as shown below.
Ivatt_2T_032.JPG

I've also made, but not fitted the water level gauges and the various pressure and vacuum gauges and their mounting plates.
Still to do are the ejector steam valves and drivers brake valve and train vacuum pipe, various control valve hand-wheels and the regulator handle.
To be honest, it's all a bit crude - no flanges on the manifold, for instance, but inside the enclosed cab it shouldn't be too obvious.
Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Winander

Postby Winander » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:02 pm

Dave Holt wrote:To be honest, it's all a bit crude - no flanges on the manifold, for instance, but inside the enclosed cab it shouldn't be too obvious.

That's a disgraceful attitude, you must do better ;)

Seriously, how do you make your water level gauges as, based on your previous work, they are likely to be the best ever? I have a completely open cab to furnish.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:42 pm

Better buck my ideas up, then.
I'm not sure the way I've represented the water gauges would stand up in an open cab. The pedestals are short handrail knobs although, with hindsight, medium length might have been better. These were drilled out to accept 0.5 mm o/d brass tube which extends beyond the lower pedestal to represent the drain attachment. The central portion of the tube is encased in 1 mm x 1 mm brass channel section, to represent the safety cages fitted to later period gauges. I'm not certain these were fitted to earlier locos, in which case the lengths of channel can be omitted.
The level gauges, together with their drains, the carriage warming apparatus (less its drain) and the pressure and vacuum gauges and mountings have all now been added.
Ivatt_2T_033.JPG

Work on the backhead is now suspended awaiting supplies of fine tube from Eileens. I have used 0.5 mm x 0.3 mm tube quite extensively in the fittings and have misplaced the material, hence the need to replenish the stock.
Of course, there's the reverser and cab seats that can be done in the meantime.
Dave.

Winander

Postby Winander » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:32 pm

Thanks Dave. I have one of those poltergeists here too, but it occasionally returns stuff.

As usual you have excelled. I have a bet with myself that those coal doors will disappear soon, not that they need to.
Richard Hodgson

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:02 pm

A bit more detail has been added to the backhead. The steam heating apparatus, to the right of the manifold, has had its drain fitted. Further down the RH side is the automatic blow-down valve with its discharge pipe and steam actuating connection to the two injector steam pipes.
All-in-all, not much to show for several work sessions, but it is rather fiddly stuff and I was awaiting fresh supplies of fine tube. Very prompt service from Eileen's.
Ivatt_2T_037.JPG

Better move across the the LH side next to address the brake equipment.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:21 pm

Most of the drivers brake valve and associated pipework have been made and fitted. Just the steam brake actuating lever and main steam feed to do.
I have to confess, I didn't drill the bonnet of the vacuum relief valve to represent the perforations of the real thing - a case of "not getting it all right"?
Ivatt_2T_038.JPG

Brake ejector steam valves next.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:06 pm

The brake arrangements have been completed and the valve hand-wheels (spare from the Scot kit) fitted. So, apart from the regulator handle, the back-head is now complete and ready to be attached to the cab floor/front.
Ivatt_2T_039.JPG

Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:42 pm

I wonder if anyone can help?
The loco I'm modelling was motor, or push-pull, fitted. I imagine there must have been some additional equipment in the cab compared with the non-fitted locos. In some published on-board photos (of the BR standard version) I can see a sizeable electrical box located below the forward side window on the driver's side and also a small lever working in a quadrant in the fore-aft plane just to the rear of the electrical box. Perhaps the lever was part of the bell code equipment as it looks too flimsy to be anything mechanical.
There must also have been a bell, and some device to isolate the vacuum controlled regulator in the full open position when the loco was being driven from the cab using the manual regulator.
Has anyone information about what this extra equipment looked like and where it was located?

Dave.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:24 am

Dave Holt wrote:So, apart from the regulator handle, the back-head is now complete
Dave.

Amazing work Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:33 pm

Thanks, Julian.
The backhead has been completed by the addition of the regulator handle, filed up from some scrap etch and suitably bent to shape - quite a pronounced "Z" shape in fact. The backhead and modified reverser have now been fixed to the cab floor/front and it, together with the cab back plate and inset doors have been trial fitted into the Bachmann body to check it all goes together properly, which it does, thankfully. The resulting assembly confirms that the detail incorporated is barely visible within the gloomy confines of the cab, as shown in the photos. Still, i know it's there.
Ivatt_2T_040.JPG

Ivatt_2T_041.JPG

I have to decide whether to chop out the moulded coal from the bunker or just to sprinkle real coal on top. If the former, it needs to be done before attaching the loose upper bunker to the main body.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:20 am

Well, that's it as far as detailing the cab interior goes, apart, that is, from providing a crew.
The last few additions were the regulator handle, the cab seats (represented in the upright position, as previously mentioned), the injector water valve handles and the manual blow-down operating handle.
Ivatt_2T_042.JPG

I might move on to to some further work on the body before fitting the fixed cab components to avoid the possible risk of handling damage.
Dave.

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:58 am

Superb Dave!

I had a look through for photos showing the motor train cab fittings & didn't find any. I'm surprised the wooden mock up (as included in the Irwell Press book among others) didn't include them for crew feedback, but seemingly not.

I thought the Bradford Barton BR standards in detail books might have something useful - but as usual it pays far more attention to the big locos than the little ones.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:07 pm

Peter, thanks for looking for the motor fitted details. I found a couple of photos, in a Foxline book about Blackpool, which showed some detail in the cab of a BR Standard tank, but not enough to help model it. It'll have to do without.
Here's a different angle view of the cab floor/boiler backhead assembly, which shows some of the details better then the straight-on view posted previously.
Ivatt_2T_043.JPG

Dave.

Winander

Postby Winander » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:23 pm

That is impressive.
Richard Hodgson

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:27 am

Seriously impressive Dave. I have my J26 to do and the Q6 which hasn't been finished in almost 13 years. Knowing how small most of these pieces are it is a most impressive backhead!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:33 pm

Thanks, gents.
No modelling this evening - band rehearsal - but a start was made on the body this morning. First job was to drill holes and fit turned boiler washout plugs, twelve in total, four each side of the firebox and four on the upper boiler barrel. The Bachmann moulding had a sort of representation of the two near the front of the boiler, but none of the others. There was one tricky access problem on the LHS of the firebox, just in front of the cab, due to the tank level gauge and vent pipe. As a result, the plug is slightly out of positions between the two. On the other side, the vent pipe came off, so the plug there is in the correct position. Mind you, the plugs on the firebox are partially hidden by the ejector steam pipes (LHS) and the fire irons (RHS) and are generally not too obvious in photos of the prototype.
The other work was to fill the over-size slots where the Bachmann lamp irons have been removed, using stalks of plastic card fixed with solvent. Handrail knob holes, bunker ladder mounting holes and smokebox dart holes still to do.
Ivatt_2T_044.JPG

Having acquired various cast W/M, lost wax brass and turned brass replacement chimneys, I've decided to retain the existing version. The rim isn't quite right, somehow, but it captures the overall proportions better than the alternatives, to my eyes. I have done a bit of work with files to remove the mould part line and improve the underside of the rim.
No modelling tomorrow, or rather I'm doing my 304.8 mm to the foot scale work on P&O.

Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:20 am

Not much physical modelling recently, although I have been busy preparing dimensioned sketches for chassis and body detailing parts to be etched for a future project and also arranging for a further building to be made for my layout.
That said, the erstwhile loose bunker has been re-affixed to the body, so it no longer a cabriolet. Initially, tried DL-Limonene for the horizontal joint, but it just didn't appear to work on the type of plastic used by Bachmann (which I assume to be polystyrene) so I resorted to Plastic Weld, which did work. The vertical joint and under the cab roof, Loctite 480 was employed and also used to fill the joint line gaps. Prior to fixing, the inside surface, together with the scratch built interior were painted using spray can etch primer and satin black as these will be hard to fully access for painting once fixed.
Here's the loco looking more like it with the bunker fixed.
Ivatt_2T_045.JPG

Ivatt_2T_046.JPG

Ivatt_2T_047.JPG

The various white splodges on the bunker rear are plasicard plugs where various oversize holes were located in the moulding.
Dave.

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:06 am

Coming along nicely Dave. Liquid Poly also works well on Bachmann bodies.

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:53 am

Great work especially on the back-head Dave keep up the good work.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:47 pm

Thanks John & robin.

Just for the record, here's the painted inside bulkhead for the cab. My original intention was to fix this to the rear of the cab floor/boiler backhead but realised, just in time, that the coal watering (pet) pipe representation would prevent the assembly sliding in past the recessed cab door units. Instead, the rear plate will be attached to the front of the recently fixed bunker. I'll do this using origin, slow setting epoxy, so that everything can be assembled and the final position adjusted before the adhesive cures.
Ivatt_2T_048.JPG

Dave.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:39 pm

The cab rear was fixed using original, slow curing Araldite, as proposed. This gave time after inserting the adhesive smeared rear plate into its rough position to temporarily fit the cab floor/boiler backhead, inset cab doors and the chassis to ensure the back plate was located in exactly the right place.
Subsequently, the cab floor/backhead and door inserts have been painted with rattle can etch primer and the inside faces of the doors painted satin black.
The doors have now been fixed using supposedly 12 minute epoxy - it actually took about half an hour, so perhaps I got the mix slightly wrong. These were quite tricky to get just right with the edges flush with the body moulding both vertically and horizontally, front and back. Lots of adjustments were required during the initial cure time, so perhaps it's as well that it took longer than advertised!
Despite all the earlier trial fits, I found that after fitting the doors, I had to trim the cut-outs in the cab floor very slightly in two places. It's currently all fitted and the chassis mounting screws tightened and all now seems well.
The cab floor/boiler backhead unit will remain a loose item, so it can be painted and the loco crew affixed. It is quite a good fit and is located fore/aft by the inset cab doors and vertically between the top of the chassis and the bottom of the moulded tanks and the cab back plate.
Here are various shots of the fixed doors with, perhaps a hint of the boiler backhead in some.
Ivatt_2T_049.JPG

Ivatt_2T_050.JPG

Ivatt_2T_051.JPG

Ivatt_2T_052.JPG

Ivatt_2T_053.JPG

Dave.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:44 am

Might it be that the epoxy took longer to set because you were moving the parts, Dave? - that's certainly always been my experience. I use Devcon Home 5-minute and set myself a reminder alarm to ring five minutes after I stick the parts together - and only then make any adjustments.

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:18 am

Looking good Dave. I find 5 min epoxy takes 15-20 mins to set, so 30 mins for 12 min epoxy sounds about right. You can guarantee that if you don't keep an eye on it, the 'little people' will give it a nudge!

Return to “Steam Locomotives”