Fowler Class 3 tank

Dave Holt

Fowler Class 3 tank

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Wow, another long term loco finished off in quick succession.
My Fowler Class 3, 2-6-2 tank has been nearly finished for some years but was missing the cab glazing, crew, coal in the bunker and the cab roof attaching. As part of my rehabilitation progress, I decided to finish these outstanding tasks before moving on to some more intensive modelling - like finishing the Ivatt 2 tank.
The crew are from the Modelu range which are both realistic (scans of real people) and come in a wide range of poses. Despite that, I seem to keep having to carry out major surgery to the seated drivers, to get them to fit behind the reversing screw. This one had to loose his entire left leg below the hip! Fortunately, in the gloom of the cab interior, this brutal de-limbing is not really noticeable.
Having said the loco is now finished, I realise that it still requires some fire irons on the tank top, as do the recent BR Std 2 tank and Crab 2-6-0 locos.
I now have two genuine Delph push-pull locos, with one more to go. In reality, the was no period when any two of the types were used at the same time, but some modellers license may be permitted. Perhaps slightly counter intuitively, the prototype sequence was Fowler, BR Standard and then Ivatt.
Some photos of the current state of the loco.
Fowler_3_001.JPG

Fowler_3_002.JPG

Fowler_3_003.JPG

Fowler_3_004.JPG

The loco was built, by me, from an Alan GIbson kit, painted and lined by Ian Rathbone and later weathered by David Clarke.

Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lord Colnago

Re: Fowler Class 3 tank

Postby Lord Colnago » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:26 pm

That's rather nice Dave and very inspiring too. Looking forward to seeing the next project.

John.
The second best priest

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:59 pm

There is something rather nice about the Fowler 3P, and you've captured it well Dave!

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi Dave, Another fabulous loco for Delph. Glad to see your rehabilitation is proving productive.
Robin

Return to “Steam Locomotives”