MR Johnson 0F

steve howe

MR Johnson 0F

Postby steve howe » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:19 am

I've recently been given the battered corpse of a ex.MR Johnson 0F 0-4-0 (K's body with a half decent scratchbuilt chassis) I have dismembered it to most of its component parts by embalming in Cellulose thinners, and am now surveying the grisly results. I'd like to try and resurrect it to something at least resembling the prototype to augment the shunting power on Horsley Bank. I've found a few good reference photos of them in service in various stages of decrepitude, but I am hoping someone might be able to suggest a source of a 4mm scale drawing so I can select the appropriate HighLevel mechanism to fit, and add detail to the chassis. The present mechanism is a 40-1 Studiolith gearbox ( :o ) on the front axle and what I think is an Anchoridge DS10 motor. It runs surprisingly well given its age but with the large wheels and low ratio gears its a bit too quick, and also, what's left of the boiler is all full of motor. Not being an LMS man, my knowledge of these locos is rather limited!

Steve

MarkS

Re: MR Johnson 0F

Postby MarkS » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Maybe this will be of use?
Not a "photostat" but I assume it is for "non-commercial" use... ;)

0-4-0 - 1.jpeg

0-4-0 - 2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Brilliant!

Thanks very much Mark.

Steve

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:33 pm

Ambis do a chassis.
Note, the K's kit is a mish-mash of the two versions of the loco. One being larger than the other with a longer wheelbase.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

hollybeau

Postby hollybeau » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:19 pm

Hello Steve,

For what it is worth my article in Snooze 208 (page 18 et al) concerning Alan Gibson brass wheels features this same loco with the body from a K's kit. My chassis uses Alan Gibson milled side frames and (being split axle) simple pcb spacers. I have just had a look at Colin's recent catalogue and could not find these listed but I am sure he would cut you some if you were so minded to go down that route and change the chassis you have. That would allow a High Level gearbox as per my own concoction:
20180701_130444.jpg

This arrangement allows for there to be light under the boiler
I have the original K's instructions and "blown-up" construction drawing but am not sure of the ethics of posting these on here. PM me if you want a scanned copy. Alas I am unable to help with a decent drawing. I am sure you know that there are some decent photos in the Essery/Jenkinson books on M.R. locos.
Good luck. I think these are very attractive locos but then as a Midland man I am somewhat prejudiced!

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by grovenor-2685 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the img tags, these are for external linked images not for attachments

Return to “Steam Locomotives”